Chapter 2 - High & Dry✔️

A/N

Just a note...

While this chapter contains explicit content, don't come at me about the scenes. They will be much longer and more detailed as the story progresses.

BUT...I'm not overly concerned about drawing out the sexual acts between random partners before our MCs are together because they are more or less meaningless other than to establish Law and Ev's character traits.

I'm not overly concerned about drawing out the sexual acts between random partners before our MCs are together because they are more or less meaningless other than to establish Law and Ev's character traits

"So how'd it go?" Rachel asks as soon as I walk back in. "Nevermind." She adds after seeing my expression, her eyes falling back to the top of her desk, and whatever notes she's taking.

I don't want to talk about it. It was bad enough to experience it, and I'm sure she has already heard all about it, but it is just in her curious nature to ask.

It's not everyday that your high-profile court case gets interrupted by a murder that happened right down the street.

Right when I had Hudson backed into a corner too! If it had happened five minutes later, I'd have secured our defense, and it would have been a done deal.

Too bad the courtroom got put on lockdown, and by the time it was lifted, the judge granted the state's motion for a continuance.

Now Hudson knows my arguments, and I'll have to come up with something better to hit him with because there's no doubt in my mind he will use all of this to his advantage, and I can't have that. Especially when it was his prime witness who got themselves offed on the way to court.

That fucker will get what's coming to him if it's the last thing I do.

"Are you going to get flowers? Or do you want me to?" Rachel asks, pulling me from my thoughts, and it is only now that I realize that I am still standing right inside the doorway.

"Flowers? For what?"

"It's the fifteenth." She says it gently. "You forgot... I'm sorry, Lawrence. I shouldn't have brought it."

"I did, until you reminded me." I spit hatefully at her as the anger rises in my chest, anger that really doesn't have anything at all to so with her. "You're always doing this shit, Rachel; you can't just leave shit alone, can you?"

"I'm sorry, but it's been six years, Lawrence. You've got to learn to let go of some of your anger. Tessa wouldn't want..."

"Don't you fucking tell me what she would or wouldn't want. You didn't fucking know her like I did; you don't get to tell me shit! I'm warning you, Rach, stay the fuck out of my business and keep her name out of your damn mouth." I grab my files and notes and start out the door before I turn back, pointing my finger in her direction. "Be here Saturday morning at six, Rachel, or you're fired. I'll order the damn flowers."