Chapter 62: The Council's Judgment

Start from the beginning

"Well, if my eyes don't deceive me, I do believe I see a Hylian!" a buoyant voice called out.

Everyone looked up (with Paya gasping before covering her mouth), to see the large Moblin-sized prince of the Zora walking toward them with his arms outstretched in greeting. Zelda's smile grew wider.

"Sidon! It's wonderful to see you," Zelda said, doing her best not to laugh when she heard Paya mumble something about Sidon's massive size from behind her.

"And you, my dear princess!" the Zora prince said, taking her hand and shaking it heavily, causing Zelda to lose her footing for a moment. "To think, I got to see Link and then you right after! This has certainly been quite a lovely past few days!"

"Link was here?" Zelda asked quickly, taken aback by the sudden mention of her lover's name.

"He was here!" Laruta said cheerfully. "That's how I knew you'd come soon!"

"He helped us in the domain too," Keye spoke up.

"He had been staying at the inn," Tumbo added.

"When?" Zelda asked quickly, looking up at Sidon with almost pleading eyes. "When was he here?"

"He was here for the past few days," Sidon said as his smile faltered. "You actually just missed him. He left early this morning."

"I just missed him?" Zelda said, unable to contain her disappointment. As if her body moved on its own, she hurried past the Zora, leaving Paya and Celessa behind.

"Princess, wait! Where are you going?" Celessa called out, but Zelda continued running off.

She passed the statue of the Zora Champion and hurried through the square before heading down the short staircase until finally, she stopped at the start of the Great Zora Bridge. Surprised, the guard standing at the front of the gate jolted in surprise at the Hylian's sudden appearance next to him.

"Who— ? Princess Zelda?" he said in shock, but Zelda hadn't heard him.

She looked out onto the bridge, hoping to catch a glimpse of her beloved knight. Unfortunately, no one was there. The bridge was empty, with nothing but the sound of roaring waterfalls that echoed down from off the surrounding mountains. She continued to stare out as Sidon, Celessa, and Paya found their way down the steps, walking up before stopping behind her.

"Princess?" Celessa asked. "Are you alright?"

After a few moments, Zelda's ears twitched as if she were only just now processing that people were behind her.

"Y–yes. Yes, I am," Zelda said, turning to face the group that had come after her. "I apologize for running off like that. I got... hopeful, that I'd be able to see him sooner than expected."

"I'm sure if you left now, you could possibly catch up to him," Sidon said. "You know about his wounds. While certainly better, they do slow him down. There's a possibility you may be able to catch him if you so wished."

"H–his wounds?" Paya repeated quietly, but all the attention was on Zelda.

Thinking about Sidon's suggestion, she furrowed her brow and looked down at her boots. After a pause, she closed her eyes and gave a defeated sigh.

"No," she said disappointedly. "We have some business to attend to here. Link is on his journey, and I am on mine. That's what we agreed to. As much as it pains me, I'll have to control myself. I know I'll see him at a later date; that's what all of this is for."

"Are you sure?" Celessa asked. "He's right down the road, Princess."

"He is," Zelda said. "He has his own goals, and as much as I'm sure he'd like to see us, we'd slow him down."