Chapter 8: A Potential Job Offer

With his hands in his pockets, Link had been silently walking through the village and around its perimeter since early morning of that day. Even with the moments slowed with bullet time, the careful observation of people, and watching every possible entrance into the village, he had found absolutely nothing that would convince Zelda that there was anything to worry about. Feeling defeated, Link took a seat on a stool that was placed at the roots of a tree in front of the Great Ton Pu Inn.

Maybe I really am overreacting, Link thought to himself as he watched the village children run through the snowy paths. Is this what she meant by my decisions? I'm out here walking around looking for someone that hasn't shown any hints at being around in weeks because I had a bad dream. Even I can't deny that it sounds bad when put that way...

He exhaled the breath he hadn't realized he was holding. He watched the cloud of warmth that had escaped his lips swirl into the air before disappearing, blending into the snowfall graced to them by the light gray clouds above the village. He closed his eyes and sat quietly.

Taking it easy may not be such a bad idea, he began to think. This isn't helping anyone.

"Link?" a small voice called out.

Link opened his eyes and brought his gaze back down from the clouds. There standing in front of him were the group of children that had been loudly running around the village, now quiet with worried looks all faced towards him. He raised an eyebrow as he gave each child a glance.

"What? What is it?" he asked.

"W-Well, you've been acting a bit weird," one of the children said. "And you haven't played with us even once since you got back. We thought maybe something was wrong... Like maybe something happened to you?"

Link blinked a few times before furrowing his brow. He folded his arms and looked at the group.

"You know, to be honest, there has been something wrong with me," he said, nodding his head.

The children gasped.

"What's wrong, Link?"

"Yeah, what's going on?"

"Is it because of that girl? The princess?"

"Yes, it is because of the princess," Link said after hearing one of them mention Zelda. "You wanna know what it is about her that's making me like this?"

"Yes!"

"Tell us! We'll help!"

"I'm like this... because she's sad," Link said with a frown. "Now I want to ask you all why you think that is?"

"I-Is it because she doesn't have her big castle?"

"Is it because she can't control us with her weird power?"

"Nope, none of that," Link said, shaking his head. "She's sad because the village children are afraid and don't even play with her."

All the children grew quiet and looked between themselves.

"S-She wants to play with us?" one of the children asked quietly.

"But we were told that she wouldn't want to be bothered with kids like us," another said.

"Our parents said we shouldn't make her angry..."

"Is that so?" Link said as his face became softer.

So the parents weren't telling them horror stories about her, he thought to himself. They just didn't want her harassed.

"Well, it's one thing to make sure you aren't bothering her," Link explained. "But to run away from her in fear is something else entirely."

"But what about her weird power?" one of the kids mentioned.