Chapter 6: Weighing Options

The light padded footsteps of children's boots against the snow, the whispers of women that traveled across the wind, barely audible over the flamboyant calls of shopkeepers yelling in front of their stores. Everything echoed inside Link's eardrums as he walked through the village roads. He remained focused, doing his best to pick up anything that seemed even slightly out of the ordinary. He stopped in his tracks and closed his eyes. The sound of straw bristles of a broom scraping against the ground as snow was pushed off the porch, the chirping of afternoon birds flying overhead, and the splashing of frigid water deep inside the well as clothes were dunked into it.

With a deep breath, Link opened his eyes and looked around. It was as if everything was moving in slow motion. He looked at the kids that were playing in the snow, with snowballs practically stopping mid-flight. He looked over at Amira and Nikki, who clearly were still gossiping as they washed their clothes in the freezing well water. Up in the air the birds were slowly flapping their wings. Everything he examined, nothing felt off, and yet he couldn't shake the nagging feeling in the back of his mind.

Allowing time to flow normally, he shoved his hands in his pockets and continued down the path. Even he couldn't dilute himself into believing that the Yiga would appear in Hateno simply because he had a dream the previous night about it. He wasn't Zelda with otherworldly powers, nor did he believe the Master Sword would send him visions with such dramatic and exaggerated fears. Still, the possibility of the assassin appearing wasn't low. In fact, if there was ever a time to strike, it would be while they were stationed indefinitely in Hateno Village.

I can't let my guard down, Link thought to himself. I can't allow anything more to happen to her or anyone else.

He continued walking before stopping at the entrance to the village. He stared out into the mountain forests that were covered in a sea of snow. He pulled his sweater collar higher on his neck, trying to shield it from the winter breeze that brushed against him.

It's only been a little over a week, he continued to think. But the news spread fast about us living here. He won't come unprepared, not like last time...

Link paused, thinking back to the events that took place during the Champion's Ballad near Vah Medoh. He could vividly remember the bruises around Zelda's neck from the Yiga jumping them by surprise while he was in the illusionary realm, battling against Windblight Ganon. By the time he'd finished his trial and returned to the real world, the Yiga had already beaten Zelda down, something that filled Link with rage. Zelda was right about what she had said before; if she wasn't there to stop him, he would have most certainly killed the Yiga then and there.

Link balled his free hand into a fist.

If they hurt you, then I hurt them, he said internally. But I'll make sure they never hurt you again. You don't understand, Zelda, but I have to do this.

Regardless of his thoughts, Link didn't budge.

For now, I'll just keep watch around the perimeter of the village, he told himself as he turned back towards Hateno. We'll see how bold you are, Yiga.

*    *    *    *    *

Sitting at her desk under the stairs, Zelda placed a bottle of sparkling pink liquid down before beginning to tap through the Sheikah Slate's inventory. While her fingers were moving quickly, her mind was slow as she thought back to the mayor's words earlier that morning.

Start my own shop? She repeated. I wish. In the future that may be a possibility. If I could finalize these augmentative dishes and experiment with more potion varieties, it could most certainly be profitable and helpful for the community and others in Hyrule. However...