Chapter 35: The Drunk Knight

Sitting on the edge of the bed with a dark cloak next to him and a blue piece of string in his fingers, Link brought his hands to the back of his head to redo the ponytail he had taken down a few minutes ago. He had already switched into a fresh sweater and tunic, one that Zelda said she had just recently washed. With this and his hair tied back as properly as he could while leaving it comfortable, he seemed well-prepared for the night ahead. Physically, that was. Mentally, his mind still continued to stir the multiple reasons for concern that filled it. Despite this, after finishing his ponytail he lowered his arms and calmly rested them on his knees. He closed his eyes and inhaled, holding his breath before slowly releasing. Through the mess inside, there was one thing he knew for certain: he would ensure everyone was safe. No matter what.

"Link? Are you ready?" Zelda's voice echoed from the bottom of the stairs.

At the sound of her voice, his eyes opened. He didn't immediately respond, glancing over at the black Hylian cloak that sat next to him before looking out the window behind. The light of day had begun to vanish, though the snowfall had remained just as heavy.

"Link?"

"Yeah," he finally answered. After another brief pause, he took the cloak into his hands and threw it over his shoulders before standing. "I'm ready."

He adjusted the cloak, crossed the loft, and headed down the stairs, though he didn't make it all the way down. He stopped halfway, caught by the sight of his lover, who was standing at the door waiting for him. She had changed into a different one of the dresses she usually wore to work, a light blue one that covered her body, with a deep red sash tied around her thin waist. She had also chosen to let her hair completely down, having brushed it to give it an even cleaner look than she usually kept it in. Even with all the time the two had spent together, her beauty still managed to make Link pause and admire her.

"H-hey..." Zelda mumbled, clasping her fingers together in front of her. Slowly, she began to sway her hips, allowing the end of her dress to dance to her rhythm. "What's wrong? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"What? Oh..." Link said, snapping out of his trance. He finished his journey down the staircase before stopping in front of her, still unable to tear his gaze away. "I just... I haven't seen you do your hair like that in a while. Not since our days in the castle."

"Well, it's a special occasion," Zelda said, bringing her fingers up to lightly play with the ends of her hair. "Though, I thought it would look a little strange with my hair short like this. I wonder if it'll even stay this clean with the snow and wind out there."

"Well, I think you look beautiful," Link said with a tiny smile. "Clean like this, and even when the wind messes it up. You know I always have my eyes on you."

"I-I..." Zelda stuttered. Her fingers gripped the ends of hair she had been playing with as her face began to glow a soft red. Link furrowed his brow.

"What is it?" he asked cautiously. "You're burning up."

"Huh?" Zelda squeaked, bringing her hands from her hair to her cheeks. "O-oh... Um... That's a little embarrassing to say, but... You... You haven't really complimented me like that these past few weeks. It... It makes me happy to hear. Truly."

At the sound of this, an arrow of guilt shot through Link's chest. He hadn't been complimenting her at all. Of course, he had noticed the distance growing between them. To him, it was an unfortunate, but necessary; a byproduct of his cautious actions. A byproduct he told himself he would eventually fix. At least, that was if their assailant would let him.

"Shall we be off then?" Zelda asked suddenly, again breaking the second trance Link had put himself in.

"Yeah. Let's go," he answered with a small smile. He placed a hand on the front door they had been standing in front of and pushed it open, allowing the frigid air to blow past them. He made to step out, but stopped when he noticed Zelda hadn't budged. "Zelda?"