Chapter 47

Noah

We went to our classes with little energy. It wasn't working. One month had passed since we last saw Monica. We didn't know where she was.

As we walked to our dorm, after our last lesson, Tristan's phone started to vibrate again. His father and mother had been calling him uncontrollably, but he refused to pick it up. Something inside me said it wasn't good.

I didn't know what to think or say. But I sure was betrayed by my best friend and goddamn girlfriend. The face she did when Emma exposed her. I lost it. I don't know how I lived all these years beside a monster.

That's why she hadn't taken us to any battles, so she could do her own dirty and disgusting work. How could she lie to us all these years? Lie to our fucking faces. And to think she hated liars, but in the end, she was the best of them.

I turned to Blake. That's how he felt when Monica lied to him. But this time it was more than a knife to your heart. Because of her, we were like shit. I was like shit. I barely eat or talk. The doctor had given me some pills to take. I felt that they didn't do anything. Tears gathered in my eyes, but I tried to force them back. I didn't want to cry for her. Not anymore. I didn't care. But why did I feel guilty for feeling this way?

"Tristan, just close your fucking phone. It's annoying." Micah said to Tristan, a little irritated.

"Sorry. But I won't be able to text Stella." He responded. Stella was his new girlfriend. Well, she was using him only for money, night dates, and sex. Lots of sex. I didn't like her.

"Is it your dad?" Ethan asked. Ethan, Micah, and Parker were silent most of the time lost in their head. At least they were in a better state than us.

"Yeah. I don't want to talk to him or anyone else."

After Monica left, Mr. Aaron left with his soldiers. We hadn't seen him for almost a month, too. Neither of us had texted or called any of our other friends outside the Academy. We didn't want any connections with them. None who reminded us of her. I was so tired.

I stopped and wrenched my body toward the building. "Where are you going?" Parker asked me.

"I will be in the music room. I will be back later." I replied and started to walk. When I was inside the building and the class, nobody was there. I went to the piano, left my bag on the floor, and sat on the chair.

The window was open, and a warm breeze came through, making a hissing noise. I put my fingers on the cold keys and played 'Another Love' by Tom Odell. It was so weird. I grew up playing piano with Monica beside me singing. Now, only the music from the piano sounded around the class. I was alone. She had fled away, and I didn't know how to feel.

But she lied.

She promised many things, but as you can see she couldn't keep them. As I finished the song, I played another one. And another. At the last one, I brought my fingers hard on the keys, making a bad sound vibrate around me.

"Are you alright?"

I turned to see Luke. He was standing in the doorway watching me sadly. I shook my head. He closed the door and sat beside me on the bench. "You played well."

I took a trembling breath. All these songs were bringing tears to my eyes. This time I let them fall. "If my body was on fire, she watched me burn down in flames to gain power. I thought she liked us, loved us. She's the liar because she never did."

Luke put his arms around my shoulders. "For some reason, I think that's not true, but I don't know anymore what to think or believe."

I sobbed. "But look h-how we end up. We are her garbage."

His grip tightened. "To tell you the truth, I think I fell for her."

I drew a breath and turned to stare at him while wiping my eyes. "What are you going to do now?"

He smiled sadly, "I will keep the happy and funny moments she gave me. And continue."

"Even they were all an act?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, even they were lies. I will always love that girl." My eyes went to the window. I missed her so much.

He signed and stood. "I think we have to go back. It's getting pretty late."

I wiped the last tears and we headed back. On the way there, Luke asked me, "Have you talked to any of her brothers?"

I shook my head. "No. We don't want to talk. I think she found an excuse to cover this up. That's why they haven't visited."

He nodded. With that, we continued down the road and into the building. Luke opened the door and I left my bag on the floor near the couch. The place was awful. Dirty clothes everywhere. Garbage.

The guys were in the kitchen when we went inside. I murmured a 'hello' and sat silently in my seat. We didn't talk much. After we finished, I stood and as I made my way to my room to sleep, I realized that Tristan's phone had stopped.