"Where's your friend? I mean, the other one," he asked again, looking around.

I had already briefed him about the whole Jungkook's dismissal thing the other day, and while it wasn't a very detailed and a long story, my brother got the cue, left it wherever I ended as if anything was enough although he obviously shared the same reaction with me, and didn't probe the topic further, figuring it was a serious one, a heavy story to carry and unpack to an outsider. It was none of his business, he said.

Taehyung was sitting next to a middle-aged lady who I assumed was his mother, and was the only family member who had gone all the way from Daegu to witness the ceremony. She must be so proud of her son. From where we were seated, we could fully see them as they were almost facing us. Taehyung's expression was bright and open, as if he was inviting all the good things in.

Jimin mumbled, "That's your friend? Shit, don't let Mom see him. You know how she gets when she spots perfect faces."

Which, of course, was impossible because over an hour later, when the formality of the ceremony was over and it was time for dessert and everybody was starting to mingle with all the people in the room—the other doctors had snuck out so fast thinking they could be doing far more important tasks—I saw Taehyung coming our way with laudable confidence in every step. He was dressed in a black suit which undoubtedly made his tall frame stick out in the crowd, and soon after he was giving me a peck on the cheek and was shaking hands with my family, showing all the niceties he had masterfully developed in his career. "I'm Kim Taehyung, Ma'am," he said to my mother, flashing his ever charming smile which the older medical and cafeteria staff would usually fall for, "I'm Soohyun's friend. There's no doubt Soohyun took after you."

Mom spared me a quick glance, malice in her eyes. "A friend?" she didn't even make an effort to conceal her dismay, "I'll be so sad if you're not dating my daughter," she added before not missing a beat to grab the chance to comment on his facial symmetry. "Can I put your photo up in our clinic? Michelangelo would go insane trying to replicate your face into a sculpture." With every word she said, I felt like I was squashed an inch deeper into my chair. I wished she'd learned the art of subtlety in school so she could've passed it on to me.

An easy laugh bubbled out of Taehyung's throat, then in a fraction of a second he was shaking his head, half-entertained and half-flustered by my mother's bold remark. If he was feeling any sense of discomfort, he was really good at hiding it. I always knew my mother wasn't one to shy away from vocalizing whatever she perceived as perfect, but my friend wasn't aware of this so I should get her away from him before she could embarrass us any longer. Mom had always claimed to be an aesthete, regarding beauty to be of high importance. She never denied vanity being one of her greatest motivators for success.

Dad's gaze was set on Taehyung, pinning him in his place, and I could tell he was sizing him up, a little wary of the possibility that he could be my secret boyfriend. Any other time, I would find it hilarious. Jimin being himself—well, he seemed to be enjoying the scene unfolding before his eyes.

I grimaced, tearing ourselves away from the awkwardness. "For the record, he's just really my friend, so don't make it weird, Mom."

Taehyung helped me clear it up. "Yeah, I'm sorry to disappoint you, Doctor Park. We're best of friends. And sure, I can send you a bunch of sample photos to pick from. Which subspecialty do you concentrate on?" I wanted to tell off Taehyung for indulging my mom's ideas, but he was being so nice and cute that it was hard to pull him out of the act.

My mom looked pleased with his response. "Cosmetic surgery procedures. You're welcome to come by the hospital I work in. You would easily be the favorite of my other plastic surgeon friends." Ha. That was going too far. She rarely even invited me to visit her at work!