Merry Christmas (December 1919)

Start from the beginning

After a while, Emma's excitement settled, and she sat down next to her father on the bed. She gazed at him with curiosity. "Dad, can I give you my gift now?"

Thomas looked surprised. "My gift? You didn't have to get me anything."

Emma reached under the bed and pulled out a small, wrapped package. She handed it to Thomas, her eyes filled with anticipation. "Merry christmas, Daddy."

Thomas carefully unwrapped the gift. He hadn't expected to receive a gift from her, even if it was a simple offering from a child's hands. She had given him a drawing with the words 'best Daddy', and a bar of chocolate. He was quite sure that Emma had scraped together her meager pocket money to buy the chocolate.

"Thank you very much, Emma," he smiled.

Emma smiled, "Can you help me now put on the dress?"

"Of course, Miss Emma," Thomas replied with a warm smile, his manner transforming into that of a devoted valet. With gentle hands, he assisted Emma in removing her current nightgown, treating the task with a sense of decorum and propriety. Emma giggled at the playful seriousness in her father's expression.

"Arms up, if you please," he instructed, as he held the new dress open for her to step into. Emma complied, feeling a mixture of excitement as her father's skilled hands worked around her, ensuring every button was perfectly secured.

Thomas stepped back, his hands clasped behind his back as he admired his daughter. "You look absolutely stunning, Miss Emma. The dress suits you perfectly."

Emma twirled around to examine herself in the mirror. The dress fit perfectly, and the colors seemed to complement her eyes. She felt like a character – maybe like a princess – from one of the stories she and her father enjoyed reading together. Emma curtsied playfully, mimicking the actions of a lady in a grand manor. "Thank you, for your im-pec-cable assistance."

Thomas bowed slightly, still maintaining his valet-like demeanor. "It is my pleasure to be of service, Miss Emma."

As Emma continued to twirl and admire herself in the mirror, Thomas approached her with a small, ornate box in his hands. "There's one more thing, if you'd kindly indulge me."

Curious, Emma turned toward him, her eyes bright with anticipation. Thomas opened the box to reveal a beautiful silver/blue hairpin. Emma's eyes widened in surprise.

A soft smile gracing Thomas lips. "Miss Emma. Lady Sybil sent it as a Christmas gift for you, even though she is in Ireland. She thought you might appreciate its beauty."

"Wow," Emma whispered, her voice filled with admiration.

"With your permission, Miss Emma. Shall I assist you in arranging your hair and selecting a suitable accessory?"

Emma nodded, her excitement growing. Thomas gently slid the hairpin into her hair, securing a few loose strands that framed her face.

"Perfect," Thomas remarked softly, his eyes meeting hers in the mirror. "Now, you are truly ready for your first christmas gathering with the Crawleys."

Emma turned to face him, her smile radiant. "Thank you, Daddy."

Thomas's composed demeanor cracked just a bit as a soft smile tugged at his lips. He cleared his throat, returning to his valet-like poise. "It's been an honor, Miss Emma. Now, shall we head downstairs?"

Arm in arm, they descended the staircase. As they reached the bottom of the staircase, Emma couldn't help but chuckle softly. "You know, Daddy, you're being a bit silly with all this valet talk."

Thomas raised an eyebrow, a playful glint in his eye. "Silly, am I? I do believe I am the epitome of propriety and elegance!"

Emma laughed, "Oh, absolutely, the epitome of something, that's for sure."