Chapter 30

Monika had tousled hair, smudged makeup and clothes all in tatters. Arek didn't look any better. He had lost his glasses somewhere which is why the  black eye was so visible. Blood was dripping from his nose and mouth. He just looked like he got into a fight with someone much stronger than him. He was leaning heavily on his younger sister's shoulder and tried not to lose consciousness. I stifled a groan of horror and Monika said at that time.

"Can we stay here for a while?" She was breathing heavily.

"Absolutely!" I blurted out, leaving my cleaning stuff in the staircase. Quickly I helped her with the injured and took them to the apartment.

Of course, both grandma and Mateusz were shocked. While Mateusz took Arek from mine and Monika's arms, Grandma inquired about what had happened but the guests just remained silent and shook their heads as a sign that this was not the right moment to explain. Together with Mateusz, we took care of Arek's injuries, and Grandma Pola took Monika in search for some clean clothes for them.

Arek was barely conscious and I learned the reason later when he leaned against the tiled wall of the bathroom. He had a broad bleeding wound on the back of his head. Mateusz almost fainted from seeing so much blood but I kept my sanity and did everything in my will not to let any of them faint here. I even sent Mateusz for vodka to kill Arek's pain. He was so vacant that he almost poured in Arek the whole bottle of it. Our patient has started making eye contact but with minor disruptions. He said weakly that he had a terrible buzzing in his head and would like to close his eyes to fall asleep after a while. I promised him that he would go to bed soon but first I would put a bandage on him. He didn't bother to listen to me and just fall forward at Mateusz who luckily caught him. When I finished Mateusz transported him to his room where he put the guest on the bed and left him there.

In the meantime, Monika changed her clothes, washed off her already washed off makeup and combed her hair. Now she just looked poor. Wearing plain dress, without any makeup, with her hair did in a simple braid. She looked like an entirely different person.

"Then tell us what happened." Grandma began again.

"What about Arek?" Monika asked suddenly clearly worried about her brother.

"He's fine. He's sleeping right now." Mateusz reassured her but she didn't get any calmer.

"So?" Grandma insisted.

"They did a search at our house..."