42. BIRTHDAY

Aradhya's POV

I woke up to find the bed empty next to me, it was cold, as if he had been gone for too long. The bathroom lights were off too that meant he wasn't there. It's been a month since the sentence and a month since he learned everything, a month of him making every effort to make me assured of this reality, and that was the only reason I wasn't panicking right now.

I switched on the lamp at my side and got off the bed. It was midnight, I picked the shawl from the couch and wrapped it around me, the weather had gotten cold last month.

Leaving the room, I found utter silence in the house, it wasn't like it was supposed to be noisy at this time but it was too quiet as if it was deliberate.
I could see the kitchen lights on from the first floor, thinking he must've gone to the kitchen. I made my way there.

I don't understand why he had to go this time, I mean we had water in the room and the jug was there when I came out, that meant he didn't need water.

I was in the lobby when the sound of a glass smashing on the ground came from the kitchen but before I could check what happened, all the lights turned on.
The sudden brightness made me close my eyes and when I opened them, everyone was standing before me.

Mom, dad, Rudra, Sammy and even Dadi was awake.
I didn't see him nor could I understand why they were all up at this time but I got my answer before I could ask anything.

My husband was coming out from the kitchen, a cake held in his hands, a chef hat on his head and eyes on me.
Rudra ran to him and took the cake from him, as he took off the hat and stood before me.

" Happy birthday. " He said before kissing me, shock would be an understatement, while Rudra had found us in a compromising position once that didn't mean that we got intimate before everyone.

All he does is kiss my forehead before office but now he has no filter. I couldn't respond, my eyes moved to the five pairs of eyes gawking at us and I backed off.

" Oh god, why? Why do I have to live with this? "
Everyone looked bored hearing Rudraksh complain like this, it's nothing new, it's like his hobby nowadays to whine about how pitiful he is being single and having such exhibitionist as his brother.

" Get a room bhai. "
Samira's words rewarded her a smack from mom as well as glares from everyone. Her pout was adorable as she looked away.

" Don't tease them. " Dadi said and I moved towards her.
" You are supposed to be sleeping this time. " I told her as I took her to the sofa and helped her sit.

" All I do these days is sleep. I don't want to now. " She said grumpily, she's getting older but she refuses to believe it, and according to her unless she believes it she's not old.

" Happy birthday. " She said and I could feel the smile inside me before it formed on my lips.
" Thank you. " I answered.

And as if it was the cue everyone needed, they started singing.

Happy birthday to you.
May God bless you.
..

It was childish, and seeing them sing it would've been comical but it wasn't. It was right, beautiful.

" Cut the cake bhabhi. The song is only this long. " Samaira said as they finished once and a chuckle escaped me as I picked up the knife.

They started singing again and cut out a piece and fed it to him first.
He returned the gesture and I asked, " Sugar Free? "

He shook his head in a no and I took the cake for mom, dad, rudra and sammy one by one.
" Mine? " Dadi asked as I wiped my hand.

" It has sugar dadi. " I answered and she pouted, her sugar intake was totally forbidden these days and while she hated it, there was nothing she could do about it.