Grateful ; Jin

It was a brimming afternoon--the golden bands of light were peeking out from the hazy clouds.

You knew this day will end in a bittersweet way, for you have been thinking about ending it with Jin Soichiro  for weeks on end.

There are only a few days left in the school year, and just a week ago Jin told you excitedly that he got into the University of his dreams.

He also told you that he's still interested in pursuing his basketball career once he starts in the University but he'll prioritize the degree he signed up for.

You took a deep breath as you walked each heavy step that lead you into Kainan's gym. Jin was appointed as the basketball team's captain ever since Maki graduated.

Once the gym came into view, you gripped into your skirt tighter to steel yourself. Inside your skirt's pocket, there was a letter that's safely tucked.

You peeked inside the gym, watching Jin lead the team's members, even shushing the rowdy Nobunaga Kiyota, putting him in his place when he gets too unhinged.

Once he met your eyes, he gave you a wave. You smiled in return, but that gesture seemed to have hurt him.

As much as you deny it so, Jin has been feeling it already, that you already have plans on breaking up with him.

💌

You waited for Jin to finish his basketball training, and surprisingly so, it ended earlier than expected.

He thought the two of you could wallow and spend the remaining hours of the afternoon at a park, and you agreed so, for that place was where you first met him.

"Here..." Jin touched a freezing cola can in your cheek, making you bolt up.

"Ackk! That's too cold, Soichiroooo!!" You exclaimed, massaging the part of your cheeck after he lifted up the can.

Jin warmly smiled after sitting beside you on the exact same bench where he first confessed his love.

He didn't speak for a while, but he held your hand once and he squeezed it tight. The moment he let go, you decided that it's time.

"Soichiro, there's something I need to talk to you about." You said, taking in deep breaths. 'I've been thinking a lot lately, and I want you to know that I care about you deeply."

"What's on your mind, (name)?"

See, Jin didn't call you with any nicknames nor he even tried adding an honorific after your name.

He loved your name as it is so he called you the only way how you're inteded to be called.

"Soichiro, I know that you loved basketball before me. I've seen your growth and sacrifices..."

You carefully spoke each word, looking at him every now and then to check his reaction. Jin wasn't saying a word, so you decided to continue.

"....I've cherished every moment we spent together, and I love you dearly, but I can't just ignore the fact that basketball has become your priority, and I don't want to stand in your goals nor your dreams."

That was the moment he decided to speak.

"(Name).... You mean the world to me. I don't want to lose you.. I--"

You cut him halfway before tears could ever stream from your eyes. You held his hand to try to console him from the sadness you're about to cause.

"You also mean the world to me, Soichiro. I just think that for us to grow, we have to step back and focus on ourselves--- this is a heavy decision in my part....."

Jin was looking down with slumped shoulders for he felt the world came crashing down on him as he kept listening to the words you uttered.

That was the time you handed him the an envelope.

"Please take time to read this letter I wrote for you, Soichiro. I only have good intentions, and I want you to be the best version of yourself."

Jin promised to read the letter you gave him, and before the two of you went home, he only had one request.

Jin held your hand gently after keeping your letter safe inside his bag.

"I want to watch the sunset with you, this'll be our last sunset as lovers, and I want to engrave this in my mind."

extended

Later that night, when Jin was left alone with his thoughts, he opened your letter and let your words unfurl.

Dearest Soichiro Jin,

Please know that I am writing this with a heavy heart. This isn't an eternal goodbye for I do not know what the future holds. I am grateful for your existence for I do not know what could've happened if our paths didn't meet. I love you with all my heart. Please take care of yourself and chase your dreams. I'll always care for you and I will always be cheering you on.

With love,

(name)