CHAPTER XIV

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." 
― Oscar Wilde

– M A K A Y L A –

I watched Alex lower her rifle and snarl at the smoking crater Artella had disappeared into across the hall with whatever security detail the Deathless had assigned him. The dark shape was armed to high hell and a chrome mask obscured any ID to us. But that wasn't good enough for her.

Alex pulled up her comm as she spun and assessed the additional threats pouring in from every inner Sector at a rapid pace. She knew the Deathless wouldn't be far behind.

"I need Falcon jet support in Sector 5. Emitting our location–we'll be in a civilian craft." She spoke quickly into her comm as she shouldered her rifle and glanced briefly at me.

I pretended that it had no effect. That my heart didn't spike and the distance between us hadn't been felt in every inch of me. I aimed my rifle through the smashed floor to ceiling glass instead and scanned for more Imperials.

But we were soon moving too. The sirens were nearing and the whirl of air assets was closing. Octavius and Lee took coordinated positions at each side of the fusion craft as Scorpion held the door open to me and nodded her head curtly towards it. I lowered my rifle and jumped inside. The others followed closely.

We were airborne and slipping into escaping traffic by the time Imperial crafts rushed in expecting trademark Division agents and Falcon jets. They would be disappointed.

Alex's rifle was still glowing when she discarded it to the floor and set her hooded head back against the chair. Her legs were sprawled wide and the set of her jaw told me she was infuriated. He was there. Right within range. Range Alex didn't miss from. Yet she did today. Was the anger for her failure or her deliberate failure..?

I kept silent for the duration of the flight back to... our base of operations.

It had felt like an eternity away from those familiar, secure walls. Lee questioned Octavius in a hushed tone about weapons and armour the Division's inner circle used. He would likely chase these upgrades with eager intent. 

But my interest lay on the woman that didn't open her golden eyes for the rest of the journey. One that still had the very edge of cord exposed under her armour around her neck. A necklace that held a ring of sapphire. My ring. I pulled my own from neck and pinched it between my fingers and enjoyed the way it warmed to me instantly. 

Lee quickly glanced at the rare metal before casting his eyes back to the conversation.

It only held meaning to us.

I tucked it back under my armour as I felt the craft descend to the rooftop hatch of the vast building. Scorpion finally opened her eyes and they landed on me. She watched me for a moment without any hint of emotion. Before her comm glowed and she typed quickly onto her wrist.

The craft landed into the fray of engineers and maintenance staff rushing between attack crafts and other supply vehicles.

Lee rushed to get the door open and Scorpion went through it without delay. Octavius arched an eyebrow at me and I sighed, going after her. Her strides were quick and her crimson cloak billowed behind as agents dropped fists to chests and melted away from her.

She didn't ask me to follow. Yet I was compelled to all the same.

A blade was already spinning between her fingers as she waited on the threshold of the lift. As soon as I was through the doors she mashed a button with her knuckle. The numbers flashed quickly above us. The blade continued to move deftly between her gloved fingers. I held the breath in my throat. The air seemed charged. Or maybe it was the adrenaline racing through me more than it had during the attack on Sector 5.