CHAPTER VII

"You can't stop the future, you can't rewind the past, The only way to learn the secret,
...is to press play."
― Jay Asher

M A K A Y L A

I always used to compare her and draw blank.

Alex was written on different paper. Hell the paper was cut from different materials. She had no reference–no comparison to draw from. She acted and she acted quickly. You either kept up with her or ran like hell in the other direction.

I acted like I had no idea what I was getting myself into for so long... yet its that lack of understanding I was drawn to. Her world was so unknown to me, the only way to pursue it was to throw myself head first into it.

None from my circles would ever understand. They would look at me the way Velron had. With that timid curiosity that ended there and saw further pursuit of their world as insane. They were happy in their constructed bubble that dined the finest in Merridian and danced the night away with glasses full. I shattered my bubble in such spectacular fashion they were still picking up the shards...

Still wondering what became of the last Xavier to the throne... one now held by Empress Ryko.

She entered the scene above us like she had never left. But I had seen her in such a different light in the time between. I thought of the way I watched her die in that Virtu I had Dazz create. How one day I would see it through and nothing about it would be simulated.

I felt Alex's gaze in the corner of my eye but I stayed focused on the hum of those fusion engines. Letting my mind go anywhere else would do nothing good now. She could wait for that end.

When the engines finally died only one set of footsteps exited before the craft hummed back to life and vanished from the drop point as quickly as it had arrived.

"Artella." That insidious voice spoke aloud.

I shut my eyes briefly. The rage burned in me no matter what self control I had mastered. All I saw was the same flash of her before Alex–

"Makayla."

She brought me back and I opened my eyes to meet that of the woman I loved. A burning set of gold. I tightened my grip around Alex's hand and dropped her a single nod. She held my gaze and my hand right back.

That past meant little to me now–but I sure as hell looked forward to the future.

"Congratulations, your life expectancy has increased marginally." Artella, stated as cold as the metal he stood upon.

"Not if I can help it." I whispered.

"Empress Ryko, the Deathless will be orchestrating your next actions moving forward." The Clan Master cut across the winds as casually as one discussed the flavour of food.

"I suppose I have Artella to thank." She returned all too sweetly. But there was still an edge of fear in her voice.

What the hell did they have on her for such compliance? Her life was forfeit in some way?

The dusty winds howled around us as we adjusted our position carefully on the cracked staircase beneath our boots. A single sound out of place over the winds could be enough to kill us all.

"You can forget his existence entirely." The Clan leader responded. It was only now that I noticed the distortion in the voice. Almost as if... I didn't dare sate my curiosity by going within eye reach. Alex wore a frown on her face in her own contemplation. "–The Deathless will navigate Merridian accordingly."