CHAPTER XIV

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." 
― Confucius

P R O X I M O 

I slowly took in the best sight in this city.

A piece of Nebula cake sat between me and Artella Maxim. I went straight for the kill and sighed long, chewing slowly. Artella was watching me in continued disbelief as his black coffee sat in his large grip. Light guitar of some form floated through the diner and cast us into a highly ordinary version of ourselves.

His white shirt still had his blood on the collar.

"Why do you always act like it's the first and last time you eat that damn cake?" Art blurted.

I chewed slowly watching him. Then swallowed loudly and swiped his coffee off him taking a longer sip. He wasn't irritated. More amused. I set it down and shrugged.

"Why do you enjoy shooting people in the head?" I returned.

He frowned and placed his hands before him in a bridge.

"Why are you Second to a criminal empire?" He countered.

"Why do you stalk me?" I deadpanned.

He fought a laugh under his hands and folded his head into them. I took another bite and savoured the explosive delight. It was even better without combat serum running through my system.

"Will you answer all my questions with more questions, Proximo?" He drawled, taking another sip of his coffee. I watched his lips take the same place my own had been.

I cleared my throat and leant back over the chair, letting my katanas pinch the seat.

"I've always liked the cake. The cake never changes."

He raised an eyebrow. "We could be literally anywhere in the city for a mere few hours and you choose a forgotten diner in Sector 52?"

"You still haven't tried the cake." I said flatly.

"Well it's definitely not the coffee..." He ventured, finally dropping his eyes to the plate under my glove. He sighed through his nose before whipping across the table with a hidden blade and scoring a thin slice on its edge.

I flinched and naturally went for my holster.

"You only had pistols–"

"This is yours." He said, appraising the blade and the cake carefully. I watched him chomp the blade with his teeth exposed. I rolled my eyes. He watched me chew and set my missing throwing knife down before me.

"Well?"

"It's cake." He uttered unimpressed.

I grinned viciously.

"You like it."

"Why do you always assume–"

"Because you never react to things you like."

This made him pause mid chew. His eyes flicked away from me and sought the rusted buildings of Sector 52 behind me. You're so much more predictable than you give yourself credit for contractor...

"I'm surprised Scorpion hasn't interrupted our little date." He said distractedly. "–then again, losing Dazz will probably set them back now."

"Why am I not surprised she chose to work with you over Scorpion..." I snorted.