Part 3: Junior Year - Scene 4

Start from the beginning

I killed Aaron.

"I'm working on getting my license," Casper says. "I'm going to classes and everything this summer. Soon enough, we'll be able to go anywhere."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." He sniffs. "I think we should go on a date."

"What?"

"A date. You know, that thing couples do? I think we should go on one. But I don't mean something stupid like the movies or a goddamn walk in the park. Something that'll suit us, you know?"

"But if we do something that suits us, isn't it the exact same as what we've been doing all along?"

Casper snorts, trying to hold back laughter, but it doesn't work. It's my turn to fall silent as he cracks up even though what I said wasn't meant to be funny. I don't stop him though. He sounds happy. Finally.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." He snorts again before saying, "Can I see you? Right now? Are you busy?"

I pull my eyebrows together. "I thought you were grounded."

"I am. But my parents are at the hospital, so they won't be back until later. They don't really know how to do the whole grounding thing. Are you busy or not?"

"I'm not, but—"

"Great. I'll be there in a few."

He hangs up before I can even get another word in, leaving me in utter shock and confusion. I stare at the phone for a while, thinking of calling him back, but instead drop it and clean up because, well, I can't do much else when he comes to a decision. Nobody can.

***

The first thing Casper does when I open the door is kiss me. It's short and sweet; just a quick peck on the lips. Even though it shouldn't mean much, it doesn't stop my face from hitting a new level of heat, and I can tell by his reaction I'm redder than the shirt he's wearing.

He leans back a little, a half smile stuck on his face as he says, "Too soon?"

"N-no, I'm just—" Whoa.

His face switches from amused to worried in a matter of seconds, eyebrows furrowing while his eyes dart from left to right. "Oh, shit, is your dad home? Sorry, I'll be more careful if you want me to. I just got excited and I couldn't think straight."

"He's not home," I say hurriedly. "I haven't seen him for the past two days, so don't worry about it."

Casper folds his arms across his chest, giving me a sceptical look. "He's been missing for two days? Aren't you worried?"

I shrug. "He disappears and comes back. It's been a habit since I was a kid, so I'm used to it. Why don't you come in? Unless you want to stay out here, I can bring out the chairs and we'll—"

Casper pushes past me before I can even finish my sentence. By the time I close the front door, he's already halfway to my bedroom, gazing around the trailer on his way there.

"I hadn't taken in your place before," he says, stopping at a picture hanging on the wall. "Is this you?"

"Yeah. And that's my dad. I was two."

Casper shoves his hands in his pockets and leans back, tilting his head to the side as he stares at the photo. "Damn, you were cute. And your dad—he didn't change much."

"That's because he hasn't grown up yet."

That really makes him laugh.

"Come on," I say, pushing him towards the room. "My dad will have your head if he comes in to see you laughing at him in his early years."