✧ nine

Vicky's stomach had been grumbling for hours now, and as soon as the school bell had rung, she'd planned to hurry to the cafeteria to get lunch. That was without counting on Narae, who'd intercepted her in the corridor, and had seemed to think this was the perfect time to tell her all about the school's garden. Though "telling" was a bit of an underestimation - she'd been rambling for ten minutes now, about all the new flowers she'd planted, and the new herbicide she'd just bought to make sure the garden stayed pristine. At this point, Vicky could barely hear her anymore, her stomach growling like a hungry lion. But still, she listened, because there was something about Narae when she talked about gardening. She seemed so full of passion and joy, like she could talk about it for hours, and quite frankly, Vicky was a bit envious of that.

"I'll have to ask if I can come during summer break," Narae mused, that signature dreamy smile she always had on her face when talking about flowers. "I don't want to come back to an absolute mess!"

In response, Vicky sighed. "I'd hate to have to come to school during break...It's already hard enough during the school year."

"Yeah, school sucks but..." Narae stopped speaking, looking over Vicky's shoulder. Then, a sudden smile stretched her lips. "Hey Vicky, here comes your prince."

Hearing those words, Vicky flinched, and looked behind her instinctively. Ricky was walking in the corridors, looking as princely as ever. Somehow, it felt like every student around him knew to stick to the walls when he was here, leaving him ample space to walk. How in the world did Ricky transform school hallways into catwalks?

Vicky turned back to Narae, her cheeks warm. "Don't say it so loud!"

"Come on," Narae said between two chuckles, "you should just talk to him."

"No way!" Vicky exclaimed as she shook her head fervently. "I'm way too nervous around him."

"But I'm here to help."

To punctuate her words, Narae nudged Vicky in Ricky's direction, but had apparently not gauged her strength properly. Vicky must have been a lot lighter than she'd expected, because she was sent flying off her feet, and right into Ricky's side as he walked by. Narae winced in horror, but thankfully, Ricky's reflexes were fast. He grabbed both of Vicky's upper arms before she could stumble to the ground, and helped her regain her balance.

"Oh wow," he whispered, taken aback. "Are you okay?"

"Um, yeah," Vicky replied, hurriedly taking a step back from Ricky. Her completely crimson cheeks were enough to know what she was thinking. "Thanks...For catching me."

Narae took a few steps closer, embarrassedly scratching her neck. "Hah, um, I'm so sorry, Vicky. I didn't think I'd push you that hard."

Vicky narrowed her eyes, tempted to stick out her tongue to Narae, but Ricky was there. Speaking of, he was still looking her up and down as if searching for injuries. She'd only been pushed a meter, she obviously hadn't cracked her skull. Still...He seemed worried. Vicky couldn't help but smile to herself. Behind his cold appearance, Ricky was very much a sweet guy, wasn't he? Just like the prince in a fairy tale.

Suddenly, Ricky's eyes caught Vicky's. She flinched again, surprised by the expression on his face. He looked...Timid?

"Hey, um," he started, but quickly scrapped the sentence before clearing his throat. "How are you doing, Vicky?" he instead settled on.

Feeling a bizarre tingling all over her arms, Vicky adverted her eyes. "I'm doing fine."

"We, uh..." Ricky was decidedly not very eloquent today. He shoved both of his hands in his pockets, his eyes wandering towards the corridor. "You still haven't texted me, so..."