✧ shen audrey

venus by starryeui

venus by starryeui

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Audrey and Ricky could never go outside together without attracting the attention of passers-by, from ladies to gentlemen, from admirative children to doting seniors. And today was no exception. As the two of them strolled through the streets of Seoul, a plethora of shopping bags in hand, everyone would turn back to take a closer look at them. Such was the fate of the Shen siblings.

Stopping in front of a jewelry store, Audrey lowered her sunglasses to take a closer through the display window. When Ricky noticed she'd stopped, he took a few steps back, joining his sister's side.

"You could probably buy a bracelet like that for Zhang Hao," she told her brother as she pointed to a beautiful, dainty gold chain, adorned with a delicate amethyst charm.

Subconsciously mimicking her, he lowered his sunglasses as well, only to scrunch his nose up in discontent. "I don't think that's his style. Hao hyung is more of a practical guy, so I was thinking of getting him a watch."

"Hmm, that's a good idea as well. Let's go inside and see what they have."

Ricky nodded, and they both entered the luxurious jewelry store, ready to find the best possible gift for the host of the party they were attending. Audrey didn't know Zhang Hao very well, but she knew he'd been Ricky's first friend when they'd moved to Korea. He'd helped him adapt to the culture, make other friends, and come out of his shell — or rather, ice block — a little bit. So for that, he deserved the most beautiful gift they could find.

Their selection of watches was nothing to scoff at. From simple, practical ones, to luxury brands, the price range was one of the largest she'd ever seen. Surely Ricky would find something for his friend there.

"I have a feeling that if I buy him a really expensive one, he'll kill me." Ricky chuckled, rubbing his chin in contemplation. "I should probably aim for a medium range one."

Audrey tilted her head, blinking rapidly. "Does he...Not like expensive gifts?"

"Well, he'd hate to know I spent that much money on a gift for him. He's from a rich family, but he doesn’t really have expensive tastes."

"I see. Then you should just get him the one that suits him the most."

Ricky snickered. "Easier said than done."

While her brother was pondering which watch to buy, Audrey took a minute to walk around the store, admiring all the opulent necklaces, earrings, and rings. From a young age, Audrey had been used to living in such luxury. Still, she was always starstruck by the exquisite design of high end jewelry. The price didn't matter, but the beauty sure did.

Her eyes landed once again on the amethyst bracelet she'd pointed out to her brother earlier. Without a doubt, it was one of the most beautiful accessories she'd seen in a while. She would have bought it for herself, but it didn't quite fit the dress she'd picked for the party.

So, maybe...

She called after one of the women working at the store, and pointed to the bracelet. The worker lifted the glass case, and confirmed Audrey wanted to buy it.

"Is it for a gift?" The woman asked, as they both walked to the register.

Feeling her cheeks redden a bit, Audrey nodded. "Yes, it is."

"Should I wrap it up then?"

"Oh, um, I'll wrap it up myself, thank you."

Audrey took her black credit card out of her wallet and handed it to the seller. And just at that moment, Ricky joined her at the register, a watch in hand. Simple but elegant, its gold rim perfectly complimented the dark leather band.

"Made your choice, huh?" she asked, taking a closer look at the watch.

Ricky nodded enthusiastically. "I think he'll like that one. It's not too extravagant." His eyes drifted to the bag she now received from the seller. "Did you buy something for yourself?"

"Well, you know that bracelet I showed you earlier? I thought maybe Yanmei would like it..."

"Oh, right, you are friends with her. Well, if you chose it, she’ll definitely like it."

Audrey could only hope that was true. Though that wasn’t obvious from the way she carried herself, she wasn’t very...confident in her ability to make friends. But Yanmei had been nice to her, and she hoped this gift would help bring them closer.

Or, maybe she would hate the bracelet. Maybe she'd think it was ugly and throw it away. Maybe she'd like the bracelet, but wouldn’t want it because it came from Audrey. And maybe—

"I'm done," Ricky took her out of her thoughts, wiggling the wrapped present in front of her eyes. "You wanna go get coffee?"

"Sure. My treat!"

As they walked out of the jewelry store, Audrey took a deep breath, holding the bag containing the bracelet closer to her heart. Everything would go just fine, she had to believe that.

 Everything would go just fine, she had to believe that