Chapter 61: A Hot Springs Healing

Start from the beginning

He was worried for her, beyond that of his position as her appointed knight.

"Prayer will awaken my power to seal Ganon away," he heard her continue, "or so I've been told all my life... and yet..."

The knight frowned and closed his eyes, something he knew was unacceptable in his current guarding position. He couldn't help it, for he knew what was coming.

"Grandmother heard them– the voices from the spirit realm," the princess said, "and Mother said her own power would develop within me. But..."

His eyebrow twitched.

"I don't hear... or feel anything!"

Nothing had ever broken the knight's spirit, but his heart was another case. His heart shattered at the princess's voice, for behind the frustration was a tone of desperation and sadness. It killed him. He wanted to help her, to give her the key to unlocking her power, or even find a way to take the responsibility away from her entirely. He wanted to, and yet...

Opening his eyes, he looked down at the sword his hands were resting on, its purple gleam shining bright even through the darkness of the night. All the things he was told this sword could do, all the things he felt it could do... None of them could unlock the powers she needed. Out of all the things he was able to do perfectly, of all the gifts he had been granted, that was the gift he desired most, and the one he simply didn't have.

"Father has told me time and time again... He always says, 'Quit wasting your time playing at being a scholar!' Curse you..."

He heard the waters splash, a sign that the prayer was over. He knew she was no longer speaking to the goddess, but to anyone, anything that would listen. What he also knew, is that she knew he was listening. It was an excuse to speak freely, even if it was one-sided. So, he would listen to every word she spoke, to take in every emotion she laid out into the air. He would make sure, even if silently, that she was heard.

"I've spent every day of my life dedicated to praying!" he heard the princess continue to cry out. "I've pleaded to the spirits tied to the ancient gods...and still the holy powers have proven deaf to my devotion. Please, just tell me... What is it...? What's wrong with me?"

It was then his stoic facade broke. Breaking his statue-like stance, he grabbed the handle of the sword and looked back at her, unable to control himself. He saw her, sitting helplessly in the water, her arms crossed as she gripped her arms, her head lowered in weakness as she cried to the waters. Every day she prayed. For years without much break, she continued to try and unlock her powers to no avail. Now here she sat, alone and cold in the waters. This wasn't the sight of a princess, no— this was the sight of a girl, tired and hurt, calling out for help, expecting no one to answer. And in reality, no one besides the goddess should have. It was out of his status, something he should have dared not comment on, especially with her words challenging the methods of the most powerful man in the lands, the king.

And yet, he spoke.

"Nothing is wrong with you," he said softly.

Surprised to hear his voice, especially knowing the implications and political dangers behind it, the princess slowly turned to reveal her bloodshot and puffy eyes.

"I don't care what anyone says," he continued. He placed the sword gently on the stone before stepping down into the waters himself. "You've worked hard for so long, without rest, and without appreciation. If there's anyone who's at fault... I'd say it's the king, or the goddess herself."

"Link..." the princess managed to whimper out, still surprised at the fact he spoke out. He couldn't blame her for being taken aback. While this wasn't the first time he uttered agreement with her complaints, as quietly as he usually did, to do so during a prayer to the goddess was madness. "Y... you can't be saying things like that. I... I know what my duty is, and what I'm supposed to do. To speak like this during prayer is foolish, and you know that. I know I have to keep trying, it's just..."