03: A Shared Interest

Start from the beginning

Her voice grew bolder as the moments of silence passed. Using her powers, she created a pinkish flame on the tip of her finger that mimicked the sun. Little bits of sparks that were shaped like musical notes bounced off the flame as she continued to sing. "But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day..." The flame seemed to make her voice echo and enhance its power. Listening to it feels like you're in a trance of some sorts.

Another moment of quietness passed. Her sensitive ears then flickered to hear a masculine, static-like voice continue the lyrics. Turning around as the flame on her fingertip disappeared, she saw Alastor standing at the door of the balcony, a wide smile on his face as he sang.

"Keep smiling through, just like you always do," He continued, slowly approaching the young demoness. Summoning his microphone stand, it then proceeded to play the melody for him to sing to. "'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away~"

His voice was smooth like honey, soothing Aria's nerves and putting a smile on her face as well. "You recognize that song?" She asked in a curious voice.

"Why of course, dear!" Alastor grinned, now standing beside her, leaning his arms on the railing. The melody from his mic stand slowly dissipated. "I'm rather fond of it, even. It's a little bit after my time but it is such a...thoughtful melody."

Aria nodded. "That's true. There's nothing better than a good song, yeah?"

"That I can agree on, sweetheart! I must say, I truly do admire your taste in music. The folks I've met so far these days only seem to enjoy those e-lectronic, DJ, whatchamacallit song genres. I personally find them rather atrocious." Alastor said with a hint of a radio scratch emanating from his mic.

The lioness demon chuckled in amusement, her tail flicking slightly. "Mhm. A lot of people love them. And I can see why, but I also enjoy the works of artists from the past, like Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald."

Alastor's ruby red eyes widened in delight as his head snapped fully towards Aria, his grin widening almost literally from ear to ear. "You've heard of Ella Fitzgerald? The Queen of Jazz?"

"Of course! She's a legend, who wouldn't love her? I especially love her song, 'Night and Day'. It's one of my favorites."

"Ah, that's a wonderful choice. My personal favorite is 'Mack the Knife'. My goodness, I haven't met a single young lass of this age who's heard of Fitzgerald! You're truly one special girl, my dear." Alastor smiled, patting her on the head like an elder would to a child. In response, Aria's smile softened.

Making his microphone stand disappear in a puff of smoke, Alastor leaned slightly closer to Aria. "So, my dear, why are you up so late?"

"Angel got drunk again, so I had to make sure he didn't get into trouble." Aria replied, sighing and clicking her tongue. Her tail waggled slightly in sisterly annoyance. "I swear that man is a pain in the rear sometimes. But it's so hilarious I can't stay mad at him for long."

Alastor's head tilted a little in curiosity. "It seems to me that you care about him quite a lot. Is he a friend of yours, dear?"

Nodding, Aria looked back at Alastor's smiling face. "My best friend, actually. Since the first day I manifested into Hell. He saved me from a turf war and has been with me ever since."

The stag nodded his head, his ears flopping to the front and back slightly. "I see now. But it makes me question about something. If you have been with him for so long, why is it that you don't seem as...lewd, as Angel? My dear, you look like a fairly modest young girl, and I wonder how his mannerisms do not affect you."

Pushing up her glasses, Aria chuckled slightly at Alastor's question. "Well, to answer that, I don't exactly know. I just don't have the urge to do what Angie does, you know? Just because I'm his friend doesn't mean I copy everything that he does. And besides, despite all the dirty, lewd stuff he does in a show or on a screen, he's a nice guy. He wouldn't have saved me from a turf war if he wasn't."

"Fair point, darling. Fair point." Alastor said, a screech of white noise emanating from him as he nodded in understanding. "You are very intelligent for a young woman, my dear. It's so scarce to find someone of your caliber these days."

Aria took a deep breath of air and sighed, looking up at the crimson sky above them. "Thank you, Alastor."

"It almost makes me want to adopt you as my own." Alastor joked before hooting with laughter, patting Aria's head once again. "Oh, I'm just teasing, darling. You're just so polite with true class and style, it's hard not to find you endearing."

Aria giggled with him, her tail now standing up with friendliness and her ears wiggling a little. "Wow, thanks! It's quite a surprise to hear those words from you, if I have to be honest."

"Don't mention it, darling. I'm just speaking the truth." Alastor replied, his smile now softened even more.

He himself wondered why this young demon belle caused him to speak such kind words. It was out of character for him to do so. Aria almost reminded him of a younger version of himself. Classy, modest, polite and affable, but there was also an aura of mystery around her. And by the fact that she was down here in Hell, he knew that there was more to this young girl. Which could possibly mean a new source of entertainment in addition to this Hotel Charlie was working on.

Standing up straight, Alastor's smile widened back into its original width. "Well, I would love to stay and gab, but the night is young. A pleasant night to you, darling~!" He grinned, patting Aria's soft, dark brown hair once more before striding into the hotel again.

"A pleasant night to you as well, Alastor!" Aria called out before the stag disappeared out of sight completely. Sighing once again, she retreated to her own room for the night.