Truth & Decisions

Start from the beginning

"Artemis and Perseus were always the closest among the gods, you could say they were best-friends. Perseus had feelings for Artemis, but Artemis didn't. Or I should say that she didn't want to acknowledge her feelings at the time, so she shunned him, cursed at him and despised his presence. To avoid her husband, she started spending more time on earth hunting than on Olympus."

"Whilst he was saddened himself, Perseus noted that Artemis was more alone than she had ever been. She might have despised him, but he still cared for her. So, he created the hunt to be her attendants forever, so she never had to be alone, and also to provide a sanctuary for maidens who didn't have anyone. Kallisto was the first one he recruited, who would soon be followed by many. Artemis might have hated her husband, but it was the greatest gift that she had ever received, which she cherishes to date."

The hunters were silent, not knowing what to say. They had always thought that the hunt was created by their mistress herself, to think it was someone else responsible for their group to exist was strange. Along with knowing that the fiercest maiden they all knew, the goddess of chastity was once married, was a lot to take at once.

Zoë let her sisters take their time to digest the new information. She was thinking back to the time when Perseus had left, it was a hard day for the hunters as well. All her sisters had been devastated that their lord had left without giving any signs of when he'll be returning. Everyone that day knew what had happened, they had all watched Artemis carry the body of their fallen comrade, bloodied and raped.

For the first time ever, Zoë had felt disgust about the actions of her best-friend and mistress. To spit on the face of Perseus' loyalty by engaging with another man in an illicit relationship. They had all objected to Orion's presence within the hunters, but Artemis had assured them that he would not harm them. However, Artemis didn't want to hear their comments and they could not force her too much.

Later the very same man turned against the goddess and tried to rape her, after successfully defiling one of her sisters.

"If you're going to tell the truth, tell the whole truth." Apollo's voice came from the front of the bus. It wasn't the casual and fun-loving voice they all were used to hearing from Apollo, rather a serious tone. Zoë wasn't blind as to not notice that the visits from Apollo had been decreasing year by year. He was angry at his sister, rightfully so. Still, it put her at unease when the cheerful Sun-God lost his smile.

The hunters looked confused, waiting expectantly to hear what Zoë had to say. The daughter of Atlas sighed, reminiscing about the ancient days when it wasn't so hard, when she was just a recruit and didn't have to be responsible for the entire hunt. She loved them, but at times like these, her position as the leader of the elite group of hunters was heavy.

"Milady once met a young man, a son of Poseidon, Orion. He was charming, a smile as wide as ocean, and equally mysterious. He was a hunter that could rival any of us hunters, even though we were blessed by the goddess of hunt. Artemis was intrigued and invited him to hunt with her, from there their friendship started. He was the first and only male to this day that has ever been allowed to join the hunt."

If it wasn't for the words coming out of their lieutenant's mouth, it would be the angry aura Apollo was radiating that filled the hunters with dread.

"Artemis was attracted to Orion, while it wasn't love, she had always had problem dealing with her feelings. She mistook her mere attraction for love and got involved with Orion. Perseus came to check up on Artemis one day, and found her kissing the son of Poseidon." The hunters all collectively gasped hearing that, while the older ones closed their eyes, remembering the day all that clear.

"Perseus didn't rage, he didn't lash out, he went to Olympus and had their marriage annulled by the queen of heaven. He left after that, none of us had seen him since then until today. Artemis didn't care about it and left to find Orion, who was waiting for that exact moment. Since Perseus had left, he knew he could carry on to what he really wanted. He raped one of our sisters and bound Milady in celestial bronze chain, wanting to defile her."