Chapter 10: Normandy Meeting

Ainz sat with his crew inside the Comm Room, where the Normandy's pilot was currently talking over the speakers with the intention of making everyone laugh. Although his methods were questionable, it definitely earned a positive response from Ainz, who shifted in his seat and breathed a sigh of bittersweet humour. He liked hearing them joke.

"Captain, that was WAY too close."  Joker informed as he continued.  "Ten more seconds, and we would have been swimming in molten lava. The Normandy isn't designed to land in exploding volcanoes. They tend to fry our sensors and melt our hull. Just for future reference."

"We almost died, and your pilot is making jokes?"  Liara questioned with evident offence.

"It's a good method to raise morale amongst the crew. I do not object."  Ainz replied with a finalised tone. This caused the Asari doctor to relent and accept the Overlord's reason, although she clearly didn't understand the true purpose of allowing humour.

"I see."  She said, nodding.  "It must be a human thing."

"Indeed. It is best to ignore his... antics."  Ainz reassured before turning his gaze towards the other aliens sitting around the Comm Room. 

Kaidan and Ashley were next to him on either side, but the latter appeared to be much more tense by comparison, and Garrus had chosen to sit beside the former while leaning his sniper against one of the arms of his seat. 

Tali and Wrex had seated themselves next to Liara, with the Quarian girl unable to focus on anyone in the room due to her own personal weariness. Ainz had noted this natural response during their mission on Therum, but he decided that he would question her later as to not embarrass her.

"I don't have a lot of experience dealing with humans, I'm afraid."  Liara confessed before turning towards Ainz.  "Yet I have never even heard of an alien species with such an... interesting visage. One that lacks both flesh and organs."  She motioned a gloved hand towards his skeletal avatar.

Ainz merely nodded.  "I understand your confusion. I am a long-forgotten Heteromorphic species called Overlord."  He explained to Liara, although he used the hidden lore of YGGDRASIL to explain the lack of information regarding his undead heritage. This excuse had been used for deceiving the Council, and Ainz decided to continue the charade.

"That is... fascinating!"  Liara exclaimed with excitement as her eyes gleamed with curiosity.  "Even the Protheans have remnants of their civilisation for us to analyse, yet these "Heteromorphs" are not common knowledge. Amazing..."  

The Asari looked towards the undead with a look of pure adoration and disbelief, which earned a confused mumble from Ainz as he attempted to shift away from Liara. There was a strange aura within the room, and he noticed others begin staring at the doctor with disturbed expressions. The sudden change in her personality was rather concerning.

Eventually, Liara calmed down and continued.  "I am also grateful to you, Captain. You saved my life, and not just from the collapse. Those Geth would have killed me."

"Speaking of which,"  Ainz repositioned himself and placed a fleshless hand against his chin.  "What did the Geth want with you? I could understand if they planned to kill you as a method of maintaining secrecy, but it would seem the Krogan was sent to collect  you. I wonder...." 

The Overlord pondered his own words, as if trying to reach a conclusion, which caused the rest of the crew to watch his every move. He began to scratch his claws against the bones of his lower jaw while tapping his foot against the floor, which caused a rhythmic slamming noise beneath.

Ainz suddenly turned to further question Liara.  "Perhaps you have knowledge regarding the Conduit? It seems to be important to Saren's plans, after all."  He looked into the Asari's eyes and waited for her response.