Chapter 1: Rebirth

Yggdrasil is about to shut down, and Momonga sits alone waiting for some of his friends to arrive before the servers shut down. Unfortunately, it seemed no one else planned to arrive.

"I should have expected as much."  He said with sadness in his voice.

Momonga got up from his chair and took the Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown from the marble wall, leaving what was known as the Round Table Room. He walked through the halls until he reached the 10th Floor.

The place he arrived was a large hallway, with several figures standing within. The butler Sebas Tian and the Pleiades Battle Maids were standing here to protect him from possible intruders.

"Follow Me."

Momonga led the servants behind him past the magic circle, and laid eyes on the giant doors before him. The majestic set of double doors was over five meters in height and covered in intricate carvings.

The left side was shaped into a beautiful goddess, while the right was made to resemble a cruel demon. Momonga touched the large door and watched as it opened by itself, revealing the Throne Room.

Momonga advanced through the room and stood before the Throne of Kings, sitting himself upon its blackened seat before readjusting his virtual robes. With a heavy heart, he commanded his NPCs one last time.

"Kneel before me."

All the Guardians inside the Throne Room fell to one knee and lowered their heads towards the ground.

"Ahh, what a shame... I wish it didn't have to end."

Momonga looked at his wrist. The time on his watch read [23:57]. There were only a few minutes left before Yggdrasil -and by extension the Great Tomb of Nazarick- would be erased.

He had to wake up at 4:00 tomorrow, meaning he had to sleep the moment the servers shut down in order to not affect the next day's work. The mention of work left a bitter taste in his mouth.

[23:59: 54]

[23:59: 55]

[23:59: 56]

Momonga closed his eyes in preparation for the end.

[23: 59: 57]

[23:59: 58]

[23:59: 59]

With a heavy heart, he awaited the inevitable automatic logout--

[00:00:00]

[00:00:01]

[00:00:02]

[00:00:03]

In a moment of shock and confusion, Momonga opened his eyes.

"Hm?"

Momonga had not returned to his apartment. He also was not in the Great Tomb of Nazarick, but instead a winter landscape with light trees decorating the nearby hills. Only one thing came to Momonga's mind:

"What the hell is going on, shouldn't the servers be down?!"

He grasped his mouth in surprise, not expecting the strange noises that echoed from his fleshless throat. It seemed that his vocals had been altered alongside the world, leaving him agast.

"My voice sounds different. Is this a beta for Yggdrasil II, or perhaps something different?"

Momonga was overcome with fear and uncertainty. However, at the same time, he was interested to know more about his new surroundings and maybe find others in the same predicament as him. It was the best option.