Chapter 7: Shared Secrets

"My parents were killed by the Neverseen." She really didn't want to tell Keefe that since his mother was the leader but she thought he deserved to know. And it wasn't his fault his mother was a murderer. "My sister wasn't killed but we were separated after she got adopted. No one wants a fifteen-year-old girl who skipped 3 years of school and has memorised every dictionary and every thesaurus and book she has ever read with boring eyes over the 12-year-old with beautiful green eyes and a good memory but hasn't memorised every dictionary thesaurus and book she's ever read." Sophie hadn't meant to say that but it just fell out of her mouth. The second she finished Keefe wrapped her in a hug and whispered in her ear making her feel a lot better.

"I'm so so so so sorry Sophie. Only a year ago and you're just acting like it never happened? You didn't deserve that." Keefe whispered in her ear. "Do you at least still talk with your sister?"

"No. We were completely cut off from each other once she was adopted. And I can't just go and visit her. She moved to London a few weeks later."

"My mother is such a little creep. I mean what I said before. I wish she was dead. She has put you and your sister through so much. You didn't deserve that and neither did your sister. I know I've never met her but if she was related to you she must be good." Sophie could tell he was blaming himself for not telling her who his mother was earlier so she told him the thoughts running through her head.

"Your family doesn't decide who we are. We do. Just because your mother is a murderer doesn't make you a bad person. Do you know how I know that?" She waited for Keefe to shake his head before she kept going. "Because you Keefe Sencen are nothing like your mother. Your mother is a murderer. You are one of the best people I have ever met."

"Not the best?" Keefe teased.

"Top ten," Sophie decided. Then she kissed him. She felt so much lighter now that he knew that about her and that she knew that about him. She was glad he agreed to tell her. Some people in her position would have told him they hated him and slammed the door in his face but he trusted her to stay and tell him that he didn't do anything wrong. She was very happy to make him feel better about this. She knew he was trying to make her feel better but she didn't actually need it. She was used to this. He needed the support so she decided to tell him what she was thinking. Again.

"I love you, Keefe. Thank you for telling me that. Thank you for trusting me to not run away from you. Thank you for not being your mother. Please believe me when I tell you that your family doesn't decide who you are. You do. And thank you for just being you." Sophie checked the time and realised it was now 4:00 pm. Crazy how fast time flies when you're with someone you love. Just then she realised Grady would kill them both when they got back.

"Keefe. We have to go. Grady is going to kill me. But it was so worth it. Yesterday was amazing. And you'd be surprised by how much I loved today as well. Even though it was only two hours. But I don't think it will make any difference going on separate ferries now. Grady's going to kill us both anyway. Want to go together?" Sophie asked desperately hoping he would say yes.

"More than you will ever know Foster," Keefe answered.

7 chapters in two days. And thank you to _kotlc4eva_and  DaughteroftheOcean88 and wish0for0fish for being my first readers and followers. Double thanks to DaughteroftheOcean88 and _kotlc4eva_for being my first voters