30 our secret moments

"They mistook my kindness for WEAKNESS
I fucked up, I know that, but, Jesus
Can't a girl just do the BEST she can?"

mariners apartment complex
lana del rey

"he deserved it, right?" jj asked, casting his rod out into the water as they five pogues were spending time at the end of their dock at the chateau. kiara and jj stood under the roof as pope and cali stood on the ramp while john b lay on the boat.

"are you joking?" kiara raised an eyebrow at the blonde. "of course he deserved it."

"never seen anyone blow themselves up like that." pope said.

"never seen anyone blow up, full stop." cali added.

"cross that one off the bucket list." jj remarked.

"jj!" kie gave out, walking down the ramp, sitting next to john b.

"sucks for sarah." jj sighed.

"are you okay?" kiara asked john b, placing a hand gently on his back.

"it's not me i'm worried about." john b said, casting more silence across them.

꧁❦꧂

it was dusk on kildare island, and pope and cali were sitting bored in the chateau while john b sorted out fishing gear on the dock and jj and kie were out getting beer and snacks for that night.

"i'm sorry, but this sucks." cali complained, looking to pope who was sat beside her on the sofa.

"yeah, the whole island just feels..." pope sighed, throwing up his hands after trying to find a word that fitted the atmosphere.

"strange?" cali offered. pope pointed to the girl, clicking his fingers at her to signal she was right. cali smiled at him, "at least we're alright."

"yeah, at least we are." pope said, looking the girl in the eyes. but it wasn't a distance or mean look, it was a soft gaze.

"wait, do you hear that?" cali asked, looking away from pope. the two listened carefully as they heard a bike cycle near the house. they looked puzzling at each other, not knowing who it wound be as pope was the only one who travelled by bicycle, and even then, only when he was stuck.

pope and cali turned around, peering over the top of the couch. "it's sarah." pope said as the girl got off her bike, and leaned it on the tree.

"shh." cali hissed, covering the boys mouth with her hand lightly and pulling him down. pope widened his eyes, wondering at the girls panic. "her and john b desperately need to talk."

pope flicked his eyes down to where the girls hand was still touching his lips. he brought his hand up and slowly pulled calis hand down, but he didn't let go.

cali swallowed, feeling a swarm of butterflies rise in her stomach. they sat there for a moment, staring at each other, popes hand resting on top of calis in the small space that was between them. maybe cali was tired, or high but she swore their faces grew closer.

then she blinked and realised what was about to happen. she pulled back her and and sprang up out of the couch.

she laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of the neck with the hand pope was holding a second ago. "i need a shower."