012 A Night At The Movies

"In my head, we're dancing in the dark
In my head, we kiss under the STARS
But we know that's not what we're doing
'Cause, baby, this ain't like the MOVIES"

movies
conan gray

calista had loved to dream. she had figured out that dreams are powerful. they can drive you to do things, to be things. as a child, cali had great dreams, just like any other kid. she hopped between wanting to be an actor, to designer and so on. as she grew up them dreams faded and were replaced by new ones.

when she was a younger teenager she had wanted to become a surgeon, the idea of saving people attracting her like a moth to a flame. and that dream seemed possible aswell. her family was picture perfect from the outside and they had money for a good college. the dream was so close to becoming a reality.

until one day, that day, the dream was taken away from here, fading like a candle out of wax, to where all the other dead dreams go, hiding in the black of your mind, being brought up and laughed at in a few years time.

cali wasn't a dreamer. she had given up on them. she stopped hoping for things she knew where never to happen. she had learned quickly to keep those ideas in her sleep, praying they wouldn't turn to nightmares like her life had.

until that summer. getting a fortune in gold with her friends was something that wasn't even on calistas radar, but then all of a sudden it was so close. so close they had laughed about what they could do with it. they had believed in that dream.

but after three failed attempts at scanning the ocean floor, they had given up. there was no gold. no fortune. no dream.

"calista montgomery, if we are paying and feeding you, i expect something in return." mr heyward snapped the girl out her dream again.

"right yes, sorry heyward." the girl apologised and continued stacking the shelves of the shop.

"hey, you okay?" pope asked as he carried another box in from inside and placed it next to cali so she could put the items on the shelf.

"yeah, just still disappointed i guess." she sighed.

"mhm." pope mumbled in agreement.

"i just have the feeling that we're missing something, you know? like it's over so quickly, so suddenly."

"you just have to find something else to focus on." pope shrugged, handing her the next few tins of food.

"like what? the dark hole my life is heading into?" cali laughed.

"don't say that." pope gave out to her. "you're not like your parents."

"tell that to everyone else."

"you'll find something." pope smiled up at the girl. his smile was honest, like he truly believed that the girl would do something in her life. a look cali needed to see. he cleared his throat, "there's a few more boxes left outside."

he got up and walked out of the shop, leaving cali to stack up the shelves on her own. she didn't mind working at the heywards shop. the people were usually nice to her and there was always someone coming in and out, asking for help. cali actually believed that popes father was about the only adult to fully like calista. pope had said that he believed that the kooks needed the scare from her parents to be reminded that money actually matters.

about fifteen minutes had passed before mr heyward had interrupted the girls rhythm, "you off the clock 'gomery. and if you see my now rebellious son around who had disappeared on me again, make sure he is alive at least."