005 Nothing to Lose

"The world was on fire and no one could SAVE me but youIt's strange what DESIRE will make foolish people do"

no one could SAVE me but you
It's strange what DESIRE will
make foolish people do"

-wicked game,
chris isaak

"what was that all about?" cali walked into the kitchen once she knew the sheriff had left.

"she thinks she knows that we know something." john b turned to the girl, revealing a large black eye that made the girl wince.

"...right." it took cali a second to figure out what the boy had said. she walked over to her bag and search threw her first aid pocket. she threw a tube of cream at john b. "put that around your eye. it'll help."

"she says she'll help me with dcs if we stay out of the marsh." john b tried to hold back a wince of pain as he put the cool cream around his eye.

"are we gonna do that?" cali asked, knowing that they barely ever do what they should.

"what do you think?"

"i think it's better than your ass being hauled into foster care." cali shrugged, "but jj will hate it."

they both let out a light laugh, knowing that she was right. cali made her way to the counter, picking up the box of rice krispies and holding it up. "breakfast?"

"yes please." the boy sighed, walking over to the kitchen. he opened the fridge and took the milk out. "on second thoughts maybe not." he gagged.

"why?" the girl regretted asking as soon as the boy held up the milk carton to her nose. she recoiled immediately jumping back away. "ugh you could've just told me. ew i can taste the smell!"

john b laughed at the girls reaction which just made her more annoyed. "go check for eggs now before i beat you up!" she yelled as him, still holding her hand up around her face as the boy practically skipped out of the house laughing.

꧁❦꧂

"look i'm calling it off. alright?" john b said once the pogues were all gathered at the chateau. "peterkin said, if i stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

"and you believed her?" jj asked, frustratingly throwing rocks into the distance.

"yes, i believe her jj."

"an actual cop, john b. you believed a cop!"

"all i gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days and she'll help me out. and it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"you know what i should have done, man? just let topper drown your ass."

"yeah cause topper was going to drown me."