24 never letting go again

"Where'd all the TIME go?
It's starting to fly
See how the hands go
Waving GOODBYE"

where'd all the time go?
dr dog

the heywards truck rattled down the road as they passed a sign for charleston. "guys, i've read this thing like a thousand times and it makes no sense." kiara sighed, staring at the piece of brown paper.

"my question is what would some rich family in charleston know about a murder on kildare island?" cali asked.

"yeah and why you specifically?" jj looked at pope "that's the other creepy thing. you know?"

"please come alone." kiara read out from the letter. "that's hella sus."

"i was thinking the same thing." pope agreed "i think it's because-"

the truck hissed, a cloud of smoke coming out from under the bonnet, clouding popes vision in the road.

"what's that?" kiara asked as pope slowed the car down. "pull over. that's a lot of smoke, even for your dads truck."

jj rolled up his window quickly, coughing, "pope, i got sensitive lungs man!"

"i'm pulling over." pope said, guiding the car onto the verge of the road.

"pope slow down!" cali yelled as the car bounced from the impact.

"what are you doing dude?" jj shouted at him.

"oh no." pope groaned as a hubcap came off the car.

"okay, sure. yeah, right now." kiara said as pope stopped the car. "shit."

"no no no." pope began to panic, taking the keys out and opening his door.

"that's a lot of smoke!" kiara said as the smoke continued to pour out of the car.

"it's gonna blow!" cali yelled dramatically, sliding over to get out after pope.

"it's not gonna blow up." jj coughed as he got out of the truck, kiara following him. "you probably unhooked the radiator pope. i haven't seen this before. you knocked the entire hubcap off!"

pope lifted up the bonnet of the car, coughing as an even bigger cloud of smoke came up. jj laughed and clapped before picking up the hubcap that lay in the side of the road.

"you might wanna reschedule your meeting tonight pope."

"uhh, plan b? we could um...public transportation." kiara brainstormed. "we could rent bikes. we could hitchhike."

"that never ends well in movies." cali pointed out, "we could call a tow truck?"

"yeah it's the radiator." jj said, peering into the bonnet.

"my dads gonna kill me." pope groaned in misery.

"yeah he might." jj turned to look at the boy. "he might."

꧁❦꧂

"middle of nowhere." jj sighed, walking back to a truck where the two girls sat, both tired and fed up already. it was now pitch black dark and they were still at the garage, waiting for the truck to get fixed. "dudes in heaven right now. 'gotta know the calibration point before you do anything with the intake valve, jj. you do the-'"

jj stopped as he saw kiaras unamused, depressed looking face. he reached his hand out, tapping the girl lightly, "hey. you alright?"