Chapter 11

Eddie spent an hour and a half at the police station, answering their questions and making his statement. He told them everything. Rachel's past, Stuart Hordley and the blackmail, everything that had led up to this. Everything that he knew. He wished he'd persuaded Rachel to go to the police before now. Of course he had tried, but she'd refused, too ashamed and embarrassed about her past. Eddie had respected her decision, but now he wished he hadn't. He should have gone to the police without Rachel, he should have been supportive from the beginning, rather than being judgmental and walking away. All of this could have been prevented. Stuart could have been stopped, and Rachel wouldn't be in the hospital, broken and bruised.

Thanks to Eddie, the police were now making enquiries and attempting to track down Stuart Hordley. Eddie had little hope that they'd find him. Stuart was a monster, but he wasn't stupid. He wasn't going to go down for this without a fight. Eddie hoped they'd find him before he did, otherwise it wouldn't just be Stuart behind bars.

Having done everything he could to help the police, Eddie had left the station and was sitting in his car. The police had reassured him they would be in touch with any updates.

Three hours had passed since he had left Rachel's side. And he'd heard nothing.

Was she ok? That was the only question racing through Eddie's mine on a loop. He'd never worried for someone as he was worrying for Rachel right now. What if she didn't make it? What if something went wrong?

Stuart had been determined to ruin Rachel, and, in a way, he had. The memory of what had happened in that office would haunt Rachel for the rest of her life. If she survived this, would she want to come back to Waterloo Road and be able to work in that office? Would she feel safe? Eddie was more than willing to support her if she decided to come back, there was a lot he could do. But he couldn't take away her memory of what happened in that office.

His phone started to ring, startling him. He answered it with shaking hands.

"Mr Lawson?" A female voice spoke

"Y-yes, that's me" Eddie stammered

"It's Helen, the nurse. Rachel is out of the operating theatre, we're just waiting for her to wake up" the nurse explained

Eddie breathed a hesitant sigh of relief

"Is she alright?" He asked

"She's stable. If you want to head over to the ward you can come and sit with her" Helen replied

"I'm on my way" Eddie nodded, putting the phone down and driving toward the hospital