Seventeen: Heroes Born Anew

Silver and Shadow stopped dead in their tracks when they watched Zeena get sent crashing into some buildings. "Well at least the tribe is safe," Silver told Shadow, who smiled in advance. "Hey everyone! Shadow and Silver are back!" one of the Mobians exclaimed as the tribe cheered at the sight of the two hedgehogs.

Both ran to the rest of their tribe members as they cheered for the return of the hedgehogs. "We're back guys!" Silver shouted as Shadow added, "Back from a crazy adventure that's for sure!" Silver happily hugged and talked to Knuckles, one of Sonic's closest friends. "Good to see you back Silver! We were getting worried sick about you!" the echidna exclaimed. "Yeah, but we made it!" Silver exclaimed.

As they talked, Silver hugged some of the other tribe members as Shadow hand shook Rouge. "Welcome back Shadow. I was wondering how you three were doing," the bat said with a smile. "It was rough on the edges, but we managed," Shadow replied. Rouge then noticed the overalls he was wearing and gasped. "I love the new look. It suits you two very well," she said. Shadow thanked her and then continued to hand shake with others.

Sonic's ears twitched at the sound of his tribe cheering for the return of the three of them. He turned around to look at them, Shadow then pointing at Sonic and said, "Hey Sonic! Get down here and say hey to everyone!" Laughing, the blue hedgehog said, "Oh Shadow, you know I don't need an introduction. It's good to see you all again!" He got down to his knees and looked at his tribe. He missed seeing everyone. Knuckles and Tails especially.

The first thing he did was pick up Knuckles and Tails and hugged the two of them, Tails not questioning what was going on and Knuckles becoming surprised as to how strong Sonic was. He put them both down and nudged Rouge's face, making her smile. "I missed you too Big Blue," she said happily. Sonic nudged a few more people until he accidentally inhaled Shadow, making his eyes widen.

He quickly got back up to his knees as he gagged before spitting out Shadow, who was now covered in Sonic's drool right there on his palm. "Ugh. Gross! What the heck Sonic?!" Shadow yelled in disgust as he looked at his drool covered body. Sonic still had the eye widened face and tried to clean Shadow to the best of his ability, all before Silver's excitement turned into a scream in shock. "Sonic! Look out!" he screamed.

Zeena was seen flying behind Sonic, who was still trying to clean Shadow. Her screaming "ENOUGH!" caught Sonic's attention as he placed Shadow down(he was still a bit wet)and got up. He faced Zeena as his tail whipped above his tribe members. "This. Ends. NOW!" as Zeena yelled, Sonic, Shadow, Silver, and the rest of the tribe members had to shield their eyes from a flash of white light, a missile soon forming from her mech dress. When the light faded, Zeena launched it, and Sonic grabbed it, the power from the missile pushing him back.

Shadow and Silver drove the other tribe members back to safety as the missile pushed Sonic back more and more before he grabbed it in his hands fully in an upright position. He looked at it in worriment, not knowing what to do. The tribe, along with Shadow and Silver, turned to face Sonic as he turned to see his tribe. He looked at the missile and then back at Shadow and Silver, who came up to one of his toes on the ground.

"Sonic...don't do what I think you're gonna do," Shadow said with a bit of shock. Sonic's ears dropped as he said, "I'm sorry. I have to do this. For you guys. Shadow. Silver. You two are the leaders of the tribe now." After that, Sonic inhaled the missile, holding it in his mouth. This made everyone, including Shadow, gasp. "SONIC?! WHAT ARE YOU-?!" was the only thing that came out of Silver's mouth as Zeena said, "You imbecile! Have fun exploding!"

She grabbed Zavok as the two took off into the skies, Sonic looking back at the two. He growled, and grabbed Zeena right by her dress. "What are you doing?! You're going to kill us all!" she yelled. Sonic didn't listen. He kept his grip tight on Zeena before she drove more power into her rocket boosters, sending Sonic up into the air. He didn't let go. He kept gripping her with all of his might as the mech began to tear up once it reached a certain height. Both Zavok and Zeena began to freak out over this as smoke came out of Sonic's mouth, signaling that the missile was about to explode. At the last moment, Sonic spat out the missile, surrounding the three of them in smoke as he let go of the two zeti.

From below, Shadow and Silver had to shield their eyes from the explosion, and so did the tribe members. When it was over, everyone looked up at the smoky sight in the skies where Sonic, Zeena, and Zavok were. "S-S-SONIC!!" Silver screamed in sadness. He couldn't believe it. Sonic was gone, yet he didn't know that he had a plan and survived. Shadow felt his eyes water. He was shocked too, that a friend he cared about dearly just sacrificed himself to save everyone.

Shadow looked at and hugged Silver. "It's alright. What Sonic did was brave. He sacrificed himself to save all of us from harm. That's the dedication of a true hero," he said, making Silver smile through tears. "Oh, and a little something for you." Shadow said this as he held out Whiskers the rat. "Whiskers! How did you-?" Silver was cut off by happiness at the sight of his rat friend. "He wanted to tag along, and also, I wanted to surprise you," Shadow smiled.

Silver thanked him, but yet the two looked back up at the smoky sight in the skies and the damaged that had been caused. "You'll never be forgotten Sonic. To us...you are the hero of Mobian kind," Shadow said with a sigh. Silver grabbed onto the black hedgehog's arm, but they didn't see Sonic, back in normal size, parachuting down to his tribe. "INCOMING!" Sonic screamed as he flew over them. Shadow looked up and gasped. "Sonic! He's alive!" the black exclaimed as the tribe cheered for their hero. "Sonic!" Silver exclaimed.

The tribe chases after Sonic as he parachuted back down to the ground. Besides being normal again, he had soot covered all over his body, a ripped yellow shirt, and he even had no gloves, socks, and shoes on him. The only thing that remained was the stinger tail that swished behind him. In his hands were Silver's stuffed bear and Zavok's journal. "Haha! I told you I was alive! Wooooooo!" Sonic cheered to his tribe as they followed him back and forth. Then Sonic crashed into a statue, making some of the tribe members flinch.

"That's gotta hurt," Shadow said while flinching. Sonic raised his hand up and moaned, "I'm ok! Just a bit sore!" Everyone cheered as Silver used his powers to get Sonic down from the pole. The blue hedgehog wobbled a bit when he was back on his feet, but he managed after trying not to topple over. Shadow and Silver both ran and hugged Sonic happily. "Sonic! You're alright!" Silver exclaimed happily. "Welcome back to the family Sonic," Shadow said.

After the hug, Sonic rubbed his head. He still had a bit of a headache from the parachute down and the returning to normal size jig. He still wobbled a bit as well. Sonic then looked at Shadow and Silver and soon gasped, "You guys! I'm normal again!" He grabbed their hands and wagged his tail happily. "We made it! It's all over!" Both Shadow and Silver smiled, but then they saw Sonic's wagging tail.

"Hey Sonic? You're normalish," Silver then said to him. Sonic saw his tail and grabbed it. "Gah-My tail didn't shrink back! It's fine though. I think it's pretty cool!" he then said stroking it. "I wonder what it can do! Maybe I can poison people or-oh! Paralyze them. That would be awesome!" Shadow and Silver both laughed with Shadow saying, "Just don't use it on us alright?" Sonic laughed back, saying he'd never do that.

The rest of the tribe continued to cheer as Sonic looked down at himself. "I know. I'm a mess," he said jokingly. Shadow patted Sonic's shoulder and said, "I bet the university can give you a place to rest up and change. Let's go there. I could use the rest myself." Sonic and Silver both nodded. They might of not found a master, but the three of them saved the day. Sonic didn't know this, but he finally had achieved his dream: becoming a hero and saving his tribe.