Three: A Light in the Dark

"Silver? SILVER! Silver where'd you go?!" Sonic screamed as he and Shadow raced through the busy streets of Empire City. Both were around the same speed, so they could catch up to each other fairly quickly. They sped through many crowds of people, but it was so hard to find Silver, they couldn't see where they were going! "I'll take to the skies. You search below!" Shadow exclaimed as he took off with his rocket shoes.

Sonic did as Shadow instructed and sped down below, hoping to at least get a glimpse of Silver. He looked everywhere, but couldn't seem to spot him. "Hey Shadow! Do you see him?" Sonic asked as he looked up at Shadow. "No. I can't find him!" Shadow exclaimed from above. He landed next to Sonic, and the two kept on running. That wasn't until Sonic got a glimpse of Silver heading into a shopping mall. "Over there!" Sonic exclaimed. Shadow looked to where Sonic was pointing, and they sped into the mall.

Shadow almost tripped on his own feet as Sonic gasped and stared at the mall in wonder. He'd never seen a place like it! It was filled with so many people, so many stores, and a food court! Sonic looked around until he spotted Silver going up an escalator. Shadow was already rubbing his head when Sonic pointed to Silver and happily exclaimed, "Silver! Silly Silver! Come on come on!" As soon as he was gone, Shadow sped after him. Well at least my head doesn't hurt anymore, Shadow thought as the two ran up the escalator.

Once they were on the second floor, they began to search for Silver, not seeing him go into one of the stories. "We'll never find him like this. We have to go to the security room and check the cameras. That will be our best best," Shadow told Sonic, who replied, "Right. It will make finding Silver much easier than having to search through the crowds." The two hedgehogs then headed off to the security room to find Silver, not seeing him exit the store he was in. "Ooooooh I wonder what this one is?" he asked himself as he entered a boutique like store.

Shadow and Sonic had already busted into the security room, shoving the woman who spoke through the intercom out of the way. She had already signaled that the mall was about to close, so the hedgehogs had to be fast. Silver was already in the boutique store when he heard Shadow and Sonic calling his name. Sonic and Shadow? Since when did they get jobs? Silver thought to himself. He thought their yells were coming from the room he was standing in front of, so he entered it.

Silver found himself being surrounded by many mirrors, and he saw his reflection in all of them. "Sonic! Shadow!" he exclaimed happily as he ran to one of the mirrors. He crashed into it, but realized that it was only his reflection. Oh. It's not them, Silver thought. He enjoyed exploring the mall, but now he wanted to see his friends again. "Silver? Silver!" Sonic's voice was heard as he and Shadow entered the mirror room. When Silver saw the hedgehogs, he hugged them right off the gate. "You found me, and I'm so glad!" he exclaimed happily.

Shadow wasn't much of a hugger, but he took the hug anyways. Afterwards, Silver then asked how they found him. "We broke into the security room and used the cameras to find you. Sure enough, you were here, and I teleported myself and Sonic to your exact location," Shadow explained. "I thank you for finding me. I got a bit lost when I was trying to navigate this place," Silver then said. The two hedgehogs welcomed Silver, and Sonic then gave him back his bear.

"Oh! My bear!" Silver exclaimed as he took it from Sonic. "You dropped it on the street so I decided to return it to you when we found each other. You're welcome," the blue hedgehog said with a smile. Soon, the lights went out in the room, freaking the three of them out. "What was that?" Shadow asked in confusion. The three left the mirror room and went out of the boutique to see that the entire mall's lights were off. It was even dark outside, for the moon shone through the glass windows.

The hedgehogs looked around, and also noticed how baren the mall had became. There were no people besides the three of them. "It's already dark...and no one is here!" Sonic exclaimed. "Well I think I remember that lady saying that this place did close not too long ago..." Shadow trailed at the end, Silver having the idea that they should rest up for the day. Shadow wasn't too sure of this. What if there were security guards? "I don't think there would be guards around here, but if yeah, then we'll have to be on guard," Sonic then explained.

It was then settled. The hedgehogs decided to camp out in the mall for the night. They had a quick meal at the foot court, and Silver showed the hoggers a bed that he'd found while exploring. The three made the bed into their own personal "room" as they began to decorate it, Shadow returning with a TV in his possession. "Nice find Shads," Sonic said with a smile. When he placed the TV in the center, Shadow took his shoes off and joined Sonic and Silver, who had their shoes off too.

Sonic began to turn through the channels after asking Shadow and Silver if they wanted to watch anything in particular. It wasn't until he stumbled upon a gaming channel that had something called the Dating Game, so Sonic decided to keep it on that. The three hedgehogs got excited when they heard the contestants names, that happened to be their own. Before the woman on the screen could make her choice, the TV blacked out, freaking Shadow out. "Oh come on! I wanted to see who she would pick!" Silver exclaimed.

Shadow teleported to the top of the TV and started trying to get it working and back up and running. "Shadow you're gonna damage the TV dude!" Sonic exclaimed as Shadow still continued getting it to work. Soon, the TV flipped back on, but it was on a villains channel. "Shadow! don't move! The TV is back on! We might of found something!" Sonic exclaimed. The black hedgehog stayed put as they listened to the commercial.

Then, hope came: the TV showed a beautiful figure with dark green hair, a pink and black horn, and she wore a beautiful scarlet red dress. The commercial stated her name as Zeena, and she was going to be at a villains convention in Station Square. It was another city like Empire, but it was on another side of the world. When the commercial turned off, Sonic was love struct. He had found the perfect master for them.

"Zeena...Station Square..." Sonic started. He then gasped in excitement. "Boys! We've found our boss! Zeena! She's gonna be at a villains convention in Station Square! This is our big break!" The three hedgehogs cheered at their victory. They've finally found their perfect boss, and now the time came to meet her at the villains convention in Station Square. The three decided to rest up for the night, and make their leave in the morning.

Since Silver was the closest to the lamp, he flipped it off as the three fell asleep, Silver clutching his bear in his hands. It seemed as if their quest was finally coming to an end already. Even if that was the case, the adventure still continued onwards. Sonic was finally going to become a hero. He was finally going to save those he loved. He was finally getting them a master.