Fourteen: Crashing Down

What were they supposed to do now? Three hedgehogs who were on the hunt for a master were now seen being ambushed by a villain army. Zeena wasn't their true master. Her real colors were finally shown as a crazed woman who wanted no one to get in her way of making her hopes and dreams real. Sonic had now learned that this was the harsh truth, and so did Shadow and Silver. The three had faith that this villain was the one, but it all seemed to be for nothing. So many years of trying to find a master, all down the drain.

The hedgehogs busted out of the chapel and into the now darkened Spagonia, the cold wind blowing through their quills. They were panicking. They had nowhere to run but forward. Villains of all kinds chased the trio, the Darkest Night firing crystal bullets at the three, the bounty hunter shooting his gun and throwing his weapons at the three, and even a villain in spiked armor rolling to the three like a bowling ball, trying to knock them down.

As they ran, Shadow was screaming to Sonic, asking him if he had a plan. Sonic didn't know what to say at this point. Running was the only thing that was on his mind as the villain army inched closer and closer. Silver spotted an alleyway, and the three hid behind it, sighing happily. "We're safe...thank Chaos..." Sonic sighed. The three were then interrupted by a masked villain with a chainsaw, starting it up and aiming it at the hedgehogs, who screamed in response as they ran, the masked villain joining the chase.

They kept on running. They didn't look back. Running was the only choice they had. They couldn't fight a full army of villains. Not when they were already scared and in a panicked state. Sounds of sizzling bombs made Sonic's ears twitch. He gasped as he saw three cannonballs next to the three. At the last moment, the bombs exploded, causing Sonic to get separated from Shadow and Silver. "SHADOW! SILVER!" Sonic exclaimed in terror. They couldn't hear him, and Sonic had to have hope that they were ok.

Shadow and Silver both took their separate ways, but both ended up getting captured and couldn't fight back. As for Sonic, he kept on running. He didn't stop. He had to get to safety, no matter the cost. Soon, he was on his own. No villains chasing him. He stopped and sighed, finally catching his breath. "Now what do I do? I'm alone. No Shadow and Silver to accompany me," Sonic said to himself as the cold wind made him shiver.

He had to keep moving though. The villains wouldn't be too far behind him. So he kept on moving. "Shadow? Silver? Where are you guys?" Sonic called out through the endless void of darkened skies and alleyways. He was getting more and more nervous the more he walked. He felt like his body could give out at any moment, his own hopes and dreams crashing into him and shattering into a thousand pieces. Was Sonic really a failure? Had he really failed everyone? Sonic then realized that most of this was his fault. All three of them caused this mess, but Sonic was going to fix the part he messed up.

Sonic looked up at the dark sky, the stars twinkling above him. Sonic had seen a beautiful night sky, but Spagonia's was breathtaking. He wished that Shadow and Silver were here to see it with him. Sonic kept calling out to Shadow and Silver, but he got no response as he kept on moving. He then spotted some light, and a tavern was in front of him. It felt like a good spot for him to stop and catch his breath.

As he began to slowly walk towards the tavern, he heard the sound of villain voices. With the last bit of his speed, he dashed into the tavern and closed the door, soon hiding behind it as the villains ran past it. Sonic sighed in relief, but then he spotted them at a nearby table having fun: the governor and Professor Pickle. "What are they doing here?" Sonic questioned himself as he watched them. The two men would be mad at Sonic for trying to steal the governor's crown, but he had to talk to them.

The blue hedgehog walked up to the table that the two men were seated at. "Hello? Mr. Governor sir?" Sonic asked the governor, who looked at the hedgehog and gasped. "My my. If it isn't one of the varmints who tried to steal my crown," he said to the crowd. Everyone laughed in response. All except for Pickle. He saw Sonic's sad and worried face. "What's wrong my boy?" the professor asked Sonic. Sighing, Sonic explained his case: "I got separated from my friends and I'm trying to find them."

Sonic thought that Pickle was going to laugh at him, but he didn't. Instead, Pickle patted Sonic's head. That made him flinch in shock. "I'm sure you'll find them, but I've heard the news about what happened. It's on the TV now," the professor then said afterwards. Sonic turned to the TV and saw what was happening. A news reporter was talking about what happened at the coronation, but that soon turned into a message as Zeena kicked the reporter away, facing him in a crazed manner before turning to the camera, still crazed.

"Sonic! I know you're out there you blue rat. Lookie at what I have here," Zeena snarled and said as she lifted her arms up, holding Shadow and Silver. Both were tied up in ropes with scared looks on their faces. Sonic walked up to the TV and gasped in terror at what he saw. "Silver?! Shadow?!" Sonic exclaimed in terror when he saw them. He realized that he had placed the three of them in serious danger, and now all eyes were being turned to the blue hedgehog.

As Zeena held up the two hedgehogs, she began to say her warning with a look that scared Sonic: "I've come to give you a message Sonic! If you're not back here by dawn, I'll KILL your precious friends! Come face me like a man, and let's end this...ONCE AND FOR ALL!" She then kicked the camera, causing it to loose its connection as everyone in the tavern freaked out in shock. Even the governor and Pickle were shocked and horrified. "My goodness! Things have really gone too far!" the governor exclaimed.

Sonic then really realized that he had the entirety of Spagonia on his hands. Everyone was turning heads and eyes to him. Before he left the tavern, Pickle stopped him. "Sonic. A word from me yes?" he asked. Sonic could tell how calm, serene, and kind his voice was. This made Sonic think that....maybe all people aren't terrible. Pickle gave Sonic a few words of advice, and the blue hedgehog was moved by all of them. "You can be the hero you've always wanted...you just have to look out for those you care about," the professor then said wrapping it up.

The blue hedgehog's eyes almost sparked as he looked at Pickle one final time. "I'm going to become a hero. I'm going to save Shadow and Silver...and end this charade," Sonic then said to the professor, who smiled at him. Afterwards, he left the tavern with Pickle saying, "Good luck my boy. Do be careful." Sonic exited the tavern with Pickle's words on his mind. He had to get to the governor's palace, but he didn't have much time. He had to get armed up for sure.

The sound of villains rang Sonic's ears as he hid behind a wall, soon watching them go by. Then....he saw Zeena's castle in the distance. He could get armed there and be at the governor's palace by dawn in no time. When he was certain that the villains were gone, Sonic ran to Zeena's castle, the sun already rising in the distance, signaling that dawn had finally approached. Little did Sonic know, the villains were still hot on his tail, determined to capture him and give him to Zeena.

"Heh. There he is boys," the Darkest Night snarled with a smirk as he pointed at Sonic, who was already headed towards Zeena's castle. "Lady Zeena's orders! Let's go capture a hedgehog shall we?"