86 - Asher the Contributor

As we walked out of the house, I couldn't help but feel relieved that the task wasn't as daunting as I had expected. I mean, I had envisioned this elaborate test of strength and cunning, something that would truly test the limits of the Empress' abilities, where I couldn't really help. But instead, it was just a simple conversation with some ghosts. Not that I was complaining, mind you. It was just a bit anticlimactic, that's all.

I turned to the ghosts, Diyi, Yisang, and Liangci, I extended my hand to shake theirs. But as I did, my hand passed right through theirs. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with ghosts. It was a bit sad to leave them like this, but I knew that I had to move on.

As I looked around the stuffy house, I realized that I had lost track of time. How long had we been here, anyway? It felt like hours, but who could say for sure? I decided to push the thought out of my mind and focus on the present.

I grabbed Aini's hand and pulled her out of the house.

"But-" she said.

I didn't see any reason to linger in a place that could kill us at any moment. "No reason to stay here after we, or rather, you, got what you need," I told her.

As we stepped outside, I took a deep breath of the fresh air. It was a welcome change from the dusty and musty air inside the house. It was the middle of the night, and I felt like we had been in there for ages. But I didn't dwell on it. A change of scenery does wonders for the soul.

That's when I noticed that the Empress was lying just outside the threshold of the entrance.

"Oi, you alright?" I poked her to see if she was okay, but she didn't respond.

I shook her violently, and she eventually woke up, looking confused and disoriented.

"...What?" she managed to mumble, she held her head as if it were in pain, "what happened?"

"We were just in the house, remember? Dark, spooky, but strangely alluring?"

"We were? I can't- I don't think- I can't remember. What exactly happened?" she asked.

I know what is happening. None of the people who left the house will remember anything that had happened inside.

It was a bit cliché, but maybe it was necessary for those who entered.

I, on the other hand, seemed to be the exception. I could still remember everything that had transpired in the house, even though it wasn't much. We had just talked for a bit, and they had given their approval. But why did I remember when no one else did? It was a mystery to me.

I have some kind of connection with three gods now. I'm Alexandra's chosen. I'm kinda the reason why Urien's cult is dead and I've made a deal with Ioine.

My stats and skills are also completely out of this world.

Or maybe the ghosts just liked me.

All very valid, but who could really say what it was?

As I helped the Empress to her feet, I decided not to tell her what had happened. It was part of her culture to not know, after all. And besides, she was out of there and not dead, which was a good thing.

We stood in awkward silence for a few moments before she asked me what I was going to do now.

"Nothin', really. I did what I came here to do. The ghosts loved you and you didn't die. That's pretty good news, isn't it? And there's no curse now that you've come here and dealt with it." I said.

"I suppose," she responded in a hesitant manner.

And then we stood there in awkward silence for a while again.

She asked, "will you accompany me to the castle? Have you done the work you wanted to do?"

"Me?" I said with a shrug. "I'll probably just hit the road again and see where it takes me. As for you, you should ask Rike about that. He's the expert on ruling a country, not me. I'm sure it won't get annoying or stressful any time soon. Ha. Bye."