78 - Aini the Empress

"Empress Aini! Empress Aini!" Haipa called from behind.

Even while strolling the supposed lonely halls of the castle, I couldn't get a few quiet moments to myself.

Even before I turned around, I could already guess what she wanted.

Very likely, she would be holding some papers.

There is a ninety percent chance that these are some type of plans or paperwork that she wants me to approve of or see if I could add anything to them.

It didn't matter what they were about. If Haipa thought it's a good decision, then it most probably was.

She played a crucial role in the rebellion and was instrumental in planning the overthrow of the old regime. Just like many others I trusted with the new reign of Alaran, she was a former slave.

"You don't have to call me Empress, I said as I paused and placed a palm on my hip. Haipa, we've been friends for about two years now. Whatever ...this is," I emphasized, "you really need to get over it."

"I really don't feel in my element here, Emp- eh, Aini," she said uneasily, fidgeting her round spectacles.

"Then come," I gestured her to follow, "let's go to the throne room and talk about whatever you want to show me."

We were joined by Baohu in the throne room.

His official role in the new empire was Imperial Bodyguard. Clearly, he was qualified for the job. He wouldn't want to leave my side even if he didn't have the position, I'm certain of that.

I'm glad he was there because having him look over me made me feel safe and certain that I would be safe from any potential threats.

I've always felt that way, but now there were a lot of new and genuine dangers. Before I had just been a farm girl, then a fugitive princess but now I was the leader of an empire, The Empress of it, and Alaran must have made a lot of enemies during the last decade, outside of it, as well as, within.

Instead of sitting on the throne, Haipa was lying on it. Although she earned it and appreciated it, when I sat on it, it felt strange.

I only sat on it myself a handful of times in the months that followed my father's suicide. I didn't like to but during the coronation I had to, and those were circumstances that demanded it.

I felt there was something dark connected to it.

A daily reminder of my father, the upper class's lack of concern for the common people, and the internal corruption that allowed criminals to rule the nation for years. Or the enormous amount of responsibility it implied.

Who wouldn't feel strange sitting in it? Except Haipa, of course.

She intended to present me with ideas for remodeling the Xueyi 'drug laboratories', to make room for additional alchemical workshops.

It went on and on about tedious logistics-related topics.

Who would oversee it?

Can they be trusted?

Do they possess all the necessary resources?

How long would it take for them to complete the task given and other related information?

I thought today would be a quiet, boring day until, suddenly, someone shattered the high windows of the castle while diving through them. Sprinkling glass all over the throne room before falling to the ground awkwardly and getting cut by the glass.

While he gathered himself, blood pooled underneath him.

"Assassin!", Haipa shot up like a scared cat and cowered behind Baohu as he prepared for battle.

"I'm not the empress, so please don't murder me!" Haipa yelled, "I just like sitting in the chair."

The stranger stood up while wiping himself off. Pieces of glass were stuck on his face.

He spoke a lot, but I was unable to comprehend him or even get a grasp on the language.

I looked to Haipa, because Baohu and I could only speak Alaranian, but I knew that she was multilingual.

She was still frozen behind Baohu. There was no chance she would be able to translate anything, if she even was able to speak the same language as the stranger.

The man looked around and could clearly tell that we didn't understand a word he was saying.

He used a skill and apologized in plain Alaranian after that, "bit awkward, no?"