72 - The Queen's Journey Part 04 - Found in Tragedy

Months had passed since the emperor's edict, yet nothing significant had transpired. Aini, Ta, and Wangguo continued to lead their tranquil lives, diligently attending to their crops and livestock, cherishing their time together. They were content, oblivious to the relentlessness with which they were hunted.

Though they were aware of the hunters' presence, they were unaware of the extent of their relentless search. Nonetheless, their self-sustained existence allowed them to forgo any visits to nearby towns, as they lacked nothing essential and had no pressing needs to fulfill.

It was a typical day when Ta noticed a strange figure in the distance. The figure was tall, hooded, and carrying a two-handed jian on their back. Ta had never seen anyone like this before and decided to approach the man, still holding a gardening hoe in his hands.

"Are you lost?" he called out to the man.

"I know who you are, Baohu Ta, and I've come for the Princess," the man answered.

Ta was confused. How did this stranger know that Aini was here?

"I came for the bounty, of course, but that comes in second. Although I honestly don't care what the Emperor wants with her, a father surely has a right to see his daughter," the stranger said, sensing Ta's confusion.

He took the blade from his back and pointed it at him, "You are my first concern. Even before the bounty was put out, I looked everywhere for you. Baohu Ta, you were the finest warrior our nation has ever produced and I won't stop fighting you whether you give the princess up peacefully or not."

Aini and Wanggou came out of the house, drawn by the commotion. They saw the stranger with the sword and immediately knew that something was wrong.

From Ta, he directed his blade at Aini, "is that her? She does remarkably look like what she does on the posters."

He pulled a piece of paper out of his backpack and threw it at Aini, who was astounded.

Looking at it, Aini said in disbelief, "Dead or alive, fifty thousand Jin Chan? This cannot be right."

Ta had kept it a secret from both her and his son that a hunt was out on the three of them, believing that it would have been best for them not to know.

Wanggou transformed the kitchen knife he had used to peel potatoes into his dao. Ta, however, stopped him in his tracks, gave him a strong disapproving look, and commanded, "No."

"I do not mean to harm the princess nor your son," the stranger said. "It is just you that I desire; nevertheless, if you do not want to confront me, then I will force you to."

"No, since the day my child was born, and the day my wife had died, I have abandoned that way of life. You should as well. Continuing down this road would only lead to ruin," Ta said firmly.

He turned his back to the man and walked away. He did not take the rejection kindly and dashed towards him.

Just a second had passed.

Wanggou leaped between the stranger and his father before anybody could notice, willingly taking the blade in place of his father, the sword impaled into his chest, so that it just grazed his father's back.

The blade was slashed upwards with a thrust, splitting the boy in two, and he collapsed to the ground; marking the soil red.

Ta rushed to his son's side, holding him tightly as he knelt down in the pool of blood. He could feel his son's life slipping away from him, and he knew that he had to act fast if he wanted to save him, but he was unable to do anything. The wound was much too great.

Aini came running over, her face pale with shock and horror. She had never seen anything like this before, and she felt completely helpless.

For what seemed like an eternity, the three of them remained still, unable to do anything to help Wanggou. They watched in horror as he took his last breath and closed his eyes forever.

But Ta was not about to let his son's death go unpunished. He rose up, his eyes blazing with fury, and he picked up a hoe that he had thrown aside earlier. He knew that he had to avenge his son's death, and he was willing to do whatever it took to make that happen.

The stranger, who had been watching the scene with a smirk on his face, stepped forward, his sword at the ready. "No abilities or magic, only our weapons in hand and our battle experience in mind," he said. "It's just you and me."

Ta assumed a fighting stance. His muscles tense and his eyes focused on his opponent. He knew that this was a fight to the death, and he was determined to win.

In a lightning-fast move, before the stranger could even react, Ta swung his hoe and beheaded him. The stranger fell to the ground, his body twitching and writhing in its final moments.

Ta stood over his opponent's body, his chest heaving with exhaustion and his eyes filled with tears. He had avenged his son's death, but at what cost? He knew that he would never be able to forget the sight of his son lying on the ground.

The stranger would forever remain a stranger, a nameless opponent who had met his match in the form of a grieving father. Ta would go on to live the rest of his life haunted by the memory of his son's death, but at least somewhat comforted by the knowledge that justice had been served.