82 - Aini the Listener

I'm starting to doubt my decision.

The road leading up to the house is in shambles and has been that way for centuries. I don't think I can convince anyone to rebuild it, especially considering how close it is to the house. The darkness is making me nervous, and I wish Baohu were here to reassure me.

Instead, I'm stuck with this foreign diplomat who I barely know.

I'm not even sure what I need for the House of Ghosts, but I know I'm not feeling very confident. When Asher questioned why I chose him over Baohu, I try to convince him that he's just as capable. But deep down, I'm not sure if I made the right choice. I'm afraid that I might not have what it takes to face whatever is waiting for me at the house.

As we walk towards the estate, I try to clear my head and think things through. But Asher kept talking, making it hard for me to focus. I started to wonder if he's the same person I met before or if he's changed. I can feel my insecurity growing with every step we take and every word he said.

"What'd you pick me instead of the old guy?" Asher asked.

"There is nothing Baohu can provide me with this adventure that I don't already have, or that you couldn't replace adequately. Baohu may be strong, but he is steadfast in his ways and he doesn't see me as anything else than the little girl he raised years ago. If you're the same Asher as the one two years before, you have more than enough power to pull the house from the ground, which I pray you won't do. Yet, as you and Baohu both share strength, I'm not certain that is what we need. Maybe you'll surprise me; perhaps you're intelligent, tenacious, or resourceful in other ways that I might require on this journey."

"Is he not your dad, then? I refer to Baohu. You do look a bit alike. No offense. Maybe I'm racist? I find it difficult to tell most Alaranians apart if they don't have something which sets them apart from the rest."

"Don't worry. I do think Baohu and I are related, but not very closely. Not close enough to be considered anywhere near an heir to the throne. And no, the emperor was my father. He had passed just a year before. Shouldn't Crown Rike have informed you about the nation's past? I had hoped you would be more knowledgeable about Alaran's present predicament."

"Oh, I'm just chit-chatting. I am aware of your past better than other people."

Asher continued talking until we were right at the entrance of the abandoned estate, which made it easier for me to believe that he was the same person as the horse-man I had already met once.

I really wanted some quiet time to consider what the ghosts would expect of me.

"Let me tell you something about ghosts. They're straight-up fake, man. I mean, come on, how can anyone actually believe in that crap? It's like, do you also believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus? Grow up, dude.

I mean, think about it, if ghosts were real, we would have solid proof by now. But all we have are these sketchy stories and blurry pictures. And don't even get me started on those ghost hunter TV shows. They're a total joke, man. All they do is run around in the dark with their little gadgets, pretending to pick up paranormal activity.

And even if ghosts were real, what's the big deal? Like, why would anyone be scared of them? They're just dead people. They can't hurt you or anything. And if you think a ghost is haunting your house, just tell it to leave. Problem solved.

The whole idea of ghosts is just a bunch of hocus-pocus. It's all in people's heads. They're just trying to scare themselves or others for some reason. I don't know why anyone would waste their time with that nonsense. There's way cooler stuff out there to believe in, like aliens or Bigfoot or something.

So yeah, ghosts are a total joke. Don't waste your time with that weak sauce.

...Though in this world, who really knows? Ghosts could exist. Do you guys have proof, or anything the like?

Are they gonna curse you? Ghosts tend to do that, or that's what I expect from this world. I don't even have to ask if you believe in the supernatural. I mean, look at what you're doing right now. And I don't even think this is just some superstition you and your people have. I really do believe that you would die if you didn't come here.

Now I changed my mind. I do believe that actual ghosts or something else are in that house. I wasn't a big believer in magic previously. Well, it's not really magic here, is it?

But who cares? I don't worry too much about what's lurking inside that house. From where we're standing right now, it's more of a villa, or a small castle. Look, it's even got one of those watch tower things built into the house-"

If the door of the house hadn't opened on its own before we even touched it and one of the occupants would have greeted us then Asher would have continued talking.

The person beyond the doorway was a pale, transparent man with a voice that seemed to resound throughout his chest.

"Kept us waiting, huh?"