Chapter 52 - Good Morning

Start from the beginning

Adam didn't need urging and raced around the room grabbing the clothes he'd arrived in and his phone. "Ready." The less stress he caused Paul the better.

the Guardian smiled and wrapped an arm around his waist. "I promise I'll make it up to you for dragging you off ."  The guardian didn't dare kiss him again, they'd never leave the apartment if he did, instead, he pulled him along and out the door.  

.....

Constantine didn't need to open his eyes to know he was alone in bed. The lack of the annoying human's scent beside him told him Shaun had probably run off like a scarred rabbit the first chance he got, not that he blamed him.

His life was a mess.  He had no purpose in life now that Adam was leaving him behind. What is an unwanted Bound Wolf with no charge to care for and protect, nothing?  The last straw was losing control and mauling Shaun like a madman last night.  He couldn't even blame it on alcohol, he was in his right mind if you could call it that. If he apologised from now and until the day he died it wouldn't be enough.

Rolling over Constantine buried his face in the pillow and growled in frustration. He didn't understand half of what he felt for Shaun and working it out was exhausting. For one thing, men had never been his thing, until teasing Adam's human friend suddenly turned into something else altogether.  What was it about the most annoying human on the planet that made him do things that were out of character, stupid, impulsive, shameless things?   Running his hands through his hair he pulled hard until it hurt.

The previous night was the perfect example. All it took was one kiss.  It was only meant to shock the little arsehole into speaking his mind.  Instead, it ignited something unexpected,  dormant. After that he'd found it almost impossible to keep his hands off Shaun, manhandling him into the car, back to the hotel, and then into his bed. Constantine refused to let the struggling human go for love nor money, and all because he felt something surge between them.

Rubbing his forehead Constantine wondered if he'd temporarily gone insane. Unconsciously, he ran his fingers across his lips, and again the memory of the thrill, the connection, set fire to his blood. A deep long growl rose up from his chest and his eyes started to glow. Wolf wanted to come forward search for and trap Shaun again.

The moment he'd kissed the human, Constantine felt sparks, faint but tangible. They moved along his fingertips, down his spine and jumped between their lips.   It hadn't lasted long and like a drowning man desperate for the next breath he clung to Shaun, wanting to ignite the spark again.  But no matter how tightly he held on, or how fiercely he kissed him, the bliss didn't return.  Constantine didn't know if Shaun felt it too? Do humans feel such things?

In the end, Constantine decided his mind was playing cruel tricks on him, the worst, fooling him into thinking he felt the mating bond.  As unlikely as it was, for a few minutes, the magnetic pull between them was exactly the same as when he'd found his mate years ago.

Constantine dragged himself to his feet.   The same pointless thoughts kept going around his head, a lot of questions but no answers.  Shaun's leaving tomorrow was a good thing he told himself, the sooner the better.  They needed distance between them.  He had more important things to work out like...the rest of his life.  

But for now, there was no avoiding having to face Shaun.  It could go either way.  They would return to ignoring each other until his departure or Shaun would rip him a new one.  Constantine resigned himself to whatever happened, he deserved it.   Standing at the door he took a breath, maybe the Goddess will be merciful and let him leave the hotel room without a confrontation.  The were closed his eyes and pleaded for her help.