~chapter 6~

My head is spinning. What was he about to tell me? "So, I transferred to your school halfway through the year, and that's why you probably haven't seen me much. I already had friends that go there, so it wasn't a problem finding people to hang with." So that explains a lot... "One day in the locker rooms you really caught my eye. You just...looked so pretty." I quickly look down at the menu, because I could feel my face getting red. Like, really red. "That really means a lot to me, Dalton." I had to find something to say, because he really was adorable, and I like him, too. I just don't have the courage to tell him. I feel bad because he told me his feelings, and I can't tell him mine. I have to say something.  "Dalton, I-" Immediately, I hesitated. "Thank you for this, all of this." he made eye contact with me and made a slight smile. I can't get enough of those eyes. They're as deep as the ocean, if not, deeper. I really wanted to tell him how I felt. Just then, Jenny brought us our coffee. "Here you go!" she said, breaking our awkward silence. "Thank you!" I say with a cheerful smile. I took a sip and was transported to some kind of "coffee wonderland". "This is the best coffee I've ever tasted, Dalton! You were so right about this place!" He laughs and touches my hand resting on the table. He touched. My hand. I look up at his face, even though I know I'm blushing. I smile the biggest, probably ugliest smile. Then out of nowhere, I say, "I like you, Dalton." I slap my hand against my mouth, in shock that those words just flew out of my mouth. He straightens out his smile, and I thought he is thinking I'm weird, or something. I remove my hand from under his, and say, "I'm sorry." He says, "Delilah! Don't be sorry! I thought I was the only one who had a crush." I look up at him again. "Oh my gosh, Dalton, are you serious?" Then we just start laughing. Out of nowhere- It's so random! I have a contagious laugh, and I think it was making him laugh, too. As soon as we stop laughing to catch our breath, I look down at my watch. "Oh no, I have to go! My mom wanted me back by 6:00!" "No worries!" Dalton says, and opens the door for me on my way out. "Wait!" I hear him yell as I'm walking away. "You really have a thing with stopping me as I leave, huh?" I giggle. "Meet me at the football field at free period?" Dalton yells back to me. "Sure! Why not." I turn back around and pull up directions to my house.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

"Hey, Mom!" I say as I open my Aouse door.  "Hello, Delilah. Did you have a good day?" "It was fascistic, Mom!" I say excitedly. "Oh? And why's that?" she says in her deep tone. "I met a boy, Mom! And he likes me! And I like him! Someone who actually wants to talk to me! Can you believe it?" "Aren't you a little young to have a boyfriend?" she says, slightly annoyed. "Well, he's not my boyfriend, we're...just...dating-" I realized sooner or later, we might end up being together. I left my mom thinking and went straight to my room to do my own. What happens if he breaks up with me in the future?  I don't want to have to go through that, although those are the risks you're taking when you're in a relationship. "Oh my gosh!" I say aloud, because I once again for got about something school related. This time, though it was more than a "something." It's a project. As in, "Delilah, can you step up and present?" kind of a project. I can't deal with those. My social anxiety is too bad to be able to speak in front of kids that I don't even know. An Dalton isn't in any of my classes. I immediately try to shove off the negative thoughts, and I get to work. We're working on some essay project for ELA, and if I want to finish, I have to start now.

After hours of completing my papers, the essay was complete. I had to type it out, so I could read it better when I present. The last thing I want to happen is not being able to read what I wrote. I pack up my lunch for tomorrow, and I lay out my clothes. I walk out of my room and see my mom lying on the couch. "Mom, I'm really tired. I'm just going to go to bed. Right now." "Oh ok, if you really want to, I guess." I'm slightly confused, because my mom never engages in this much conversation with me. I put off the extra thought, climb in my covers and shut off the light.

Today is the day. The day full of horrors to come. I could be exaggerating, but maybe not. Just at the thought of it, my heart beats fast. "Morning, Mom." I say quietly. "Hello, Delilah. The school bus is almost here. Get some toast and head out. Okay?" I nod my head and pop some bread in the toaster. Mom doesn't seem very fazed that I told her I went on a date with someone. Usually mothers would congratulate them, or just straight up be happy for them- except my mom. My mom is the only exception. I hear the toast shoot up out of the toaster, and I pop it in my mouth in a hurry. "Bye, Mom." I close the door shut before I can hear her response. The bus ride felt really short, as if the bus was trying to get me to present sooner. We arrive at school and I take a deep breath before stepping inside. The presentation is 3 periods away. You got this. 

Those 3 periods thankfully seemed long, so I could have more time to collect myself. The bell rings, and 4th period is next. This is it, I think to myself. I walk to the locker room to grab my ELA binder, and walk towards my classroom. There are so many thoughts running through my head. I start to feel myself shaking, and my breath becomes short. I can't do this, I can't! I get so nervous I almost second-guess if I should even go to class or not. I decide to give it a shot, though. The bell rings just as I walk in. I can almost feel the embarrassment coming after me. I take a seat and take out my essay. I notice how sweaty my hands are. I'm just praying I don't get called up first. Please, don't make me go up first. Ok, take your seats now. No talking, please." Mr. Salvue says. "As you all know and should be prepared for, you are presenting our essays today. I will call you up one by one, and while your peers are presenting, you should NOT be talking!" He says with his usual strict voice. I'm still shaking, and I know I'm sweating. Don't let me be first. "First student presenting is..." Mr. Salvue looks and his paper. "Delilah Skyve. Just come up in front of the class." I can't breath. I might have actually stopped breathing. I'm really trembling now, and my head is spinning in circles. "Delilah, come on now, you're up. If you didn't finish your essay, that's on you." I slowly stand up and grab my essay. I make my way up to the front of the classroom, with unsteady legs. Everyone is staring. Everyone. I see the popular girls whispering. They're talking about me. I can't do this. "I-" My voice is shaky and raspy. My face burns, and a tear sheds down my hot face. I can't take it. I can't. I run straight out of the room before anyone can stop me. I find a place in the hallway where no one can see me, and I start to sob. "Why does life have to be like this?" I whine. Then, I hear footsteps coming down the hallway. No, Mr. Salvue is going to get me in trouble! Then, I hear a familiar voice. "Delilah? Is that you?" It was Dalton. Standing right next to me. I try to avoid looking up because I'm probably covered in tears. "I tried to present, Dalton. I really did!" I bury my head deeper into my arms. "Oh, oh no, it's ok." Dalton says. I finally look up and he has a comforting expression on his sweet face. He has a hall pass in his hand, and I ask him, "What are you doing out here, anyway?" "I was going to my locker, but now, I'm going to take you on a bike ride on this beautiful day. I heard spending time with a Dalton helps recover from a panic attack." I laughed at his remark, but was also shocked of his idea. "Isn't that skipping school?" I ask, wondering if we'll get caught. "My mom is the principle. She'll understand."  "Woah, I did not know that." I say, perplexed. "Well, now ya do. Let's go, malady." He reaches out a hand for me, and I grab it. We walk out the doors of the school, making sure no other students were present. "I come to school on my bike every day." Why didn't I think of that? I smile and nod my head, in a way of saying, that's genius! "Where am I going to sit?" I ask politely. He looks under his bike, and pulls out a lump of medal that extends into an extra seat! "What?" I say excitedly. "Are you always prepared to take a girl on a bike ride?" He laughs at my comments and starts to speak. "Well, usually my little cousin, Clara, likes to go on bike rides. I'll set her up and take her around town." "That's so sweet!" I say back to him. He smiles and says, "So, what are you waiting for? Hop on!"