Hocus Pocus

Emma, Rikki, Cleo, and I lounged on the grass during lunch, enjoying the warmth of the sun on our skin and the laughter that filled the air

Emma, Rikki, Cleo, and I lounged on the grass during lunch, enjoying the warmth of the sun on our skin and the laughter that filled the air. Our peaceful moment was interrupted when Lewis and Roman came racing up to us, excitement practically radiating from their faces.

"I have found the best thing ever," Lewis exclaimed, his voice brimming with enthusiasm.

Roman chimed in, "I'm sorry, you?"

Lewis quickly corrected himself, "Sorry, we have found the best thing ever. It's going to rewrite mermaid history as you know it."

"I think you girls are going to like this one," Roman added with a grin.

Rikki raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued. "What are you two on about?"

I chimed in, adding my skepticism, "This time."

With a dramatic flourish, Lewis threw down an old book onto the grass. "This," he announced proudly.

Emma leaned forward to get a better look. "A fairy tale book?"

I shook my head, unimpressed. "No, no, Emma. That's an old crappy book."

Lewis jumped in to clarify, "A mermaid mythology book, published in 1908. Limited print. We found it on the net."

Roman interjected, "By the way, not easy. You're welcome."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Thanks for wasting our time."

Roman nudged my shoulder playfully, and I shot him a glare.

"It's priceless, and it's totally legit," Lewis insisted, undeterred by our skepticism.

Just then, the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. Rikki sighed, "It's a kids' book."

Lewis defended the book, "No, it's a mermaid manual."

Roman added optimistically, "It might help you guys control your new powers, and maybe get answers."

Rikki cracked open the book, her skepticism evident. "Right, with, um, pop-up illustrations and a coloring section."

Lewis shut the book with a resolute thud. "Of course, it looks like a kids' book, but that's just a front. How else could they get stuff about mermaids published?"

Rikki shook her head, unimpressed. "Lewis, Roman, you guys got ripped off."

Without further ado, Emma, Rikki, Roman, and I gathered our belongings and prepared to head to class, leaving the Cleo and Lewis behind as we made our way to our next lesson.

~

We all gathered in the back of the Juicenet Cafe after hours, reluctantly participating in Cleo's potion-making venture. Lewis meticulously added ingredients to the pot, his voice filled with determination.