Red Herring

I meet up with Emma and Rikki in the Marine Park

I meet up with Emma and Rikki in the Marine Park. Emma takes a picture for a family and Rikki says as she comes back to her "You know it takes fewer Muscles to just say no." I say "Hello, my peeps." Emma says "I had to do something whilst we waited for Madi." I say "Okay, yep. I deserve that. I'm sorry, I got a little caught up." Rikki scoffs "A little?" Emma says "I'm surprised you even showed at all." I say "All right. okay. so, I've been a little MIA." Rikki says "Again, a little? you've been either late or a no-show all week." Emma says "It's all right. I'm sure you'll tell us about it when you're ready." I nod but don't say anything. we continue to walk and Byron calls "Emma!" she says "Byron, hey!" he says "I knew it was you. I saw you from back there and I thought, Emma. Hi, Rikki, Madi." Rikki says "Hi, Byron." Roman runs up and grabs Rikki from behind. Rikki smiles and says "Hi." they walk away to talk. Emma says "So, I stand out, do I?" he says "Of course, you do. you're dependable, always the same look, the same vibe. it's like, you can count on the sun and Emma. anyway, Later." Roman and Rikki walk back over after Byron leaves. Emma asks "Was that a compliment or an insult?" I say "I actually don't know." we both look at Rikki but she and Roman are kissing. I groan and say "Ugh! Get a room, you two." they disconnect and Rikki says "It's a toss-up." we then all continue to walk.

~

we make it to the cafe at the park and Cleo joins us on her break, so, we sit down with our drinks. Emma asks "Do you think I'm predictable?" I say "kind of." Roman says "Well, I never figured out the whole Mermaid thing so No?" Rikki says "Let me answer your question with a question. Do you count how many times you chew each mouth full?" Emma says "That's not being predictable. that's just good health sense." Rikki says "And my role in this conversation ends now." Roman and Rikki chat and kiss quietly. I gag and say "Emma, you do kind of have a predictable nature to things." she scoffs and says "Do not." I say "And I'm out of this conversation now too." Cleo says "You know what I think? I think our lives have gotten so nutty lately. it's nice to have a normal person we can rely on." Roman says "Aw, thanks, Cleo." I smack him upside the head and say "Not you, doofus." he rubs his head and says "Was the smack necessary?" Rikki and I say in unison "Yes." he pouts and Rikki and I smile. Emma says "I'm predictable." Cleo says "That's not what I meant." I say "The sun and Emma. I know what this is about." Emma says "This has got nothing to do with Byron." I say "I never said his name." Emma says "You two just confirmed it for me. I'm sick of being dependable Emma. I need a change. I'm gonna color my hair." Miss Chatham walks up and says "Girls, I am so glad I bumped into you." Cleo says "Miss Chatham, hi." Rikki smiles and says "It's good to see you again." she smiles at us. Emma says "How are you, Miss Chatham?" I keep a small smile on my face. Miss Chatham says "In all honesty, Emma, I'm very concerned. I just wanted to tell you that you must stick together, no matter what. you must be there for each other. promise me." Emma says "Miss Chatham, I don't know what you're worrying about. but as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing I wouldn't do for Cleo, Rikki, and Madi." Cleo adds "Absolutely. the four of us are like best friends, no secrets, Right?" Rikki says "I can't think of anything that could tear us apart." Miss Chatham looks at me and I say "Right." Emma says "Right." Miss Chatham says Looking at me "I'm glad." I look away from her as I know I'm lying to everyone about something.