Dr. Danger

Rikki, Emma, and I are hanging out in Emma's room

Rikki, Emma, and I are hanging out in Emma's room. Emma is going on about how she can't go on her family vacation because of her tail. Emma says "I've let them down again. our family holidays are a tradition." Rikki says "I'm sure they'll get over it." Emma says "You're not very good at the whole deep and meaningful thing, are you?" Rikki says "Well what's there to think about? you can't go swimming in front of your family unless you want them to know you're a fish." I say "Rikki is right, Em. you can't go and risk revealing our secret to your family. I'm sure your family will forgive you." Cleo then walks in and starts to pace. I say "Cleo, you are giving me anxiety. please just tell us." Cleo says "ok. I don't want to alarm you, but we've got trouble. what's her face is back in town." Rikki says "Um, you're gonna have to be a little bit more specific with that." Cleo says "Oh, you know. the blonde vixen who ran off into the sunset with Lewis and a sample of our DNA." Rikki says "The Marine Biologist." I ask "Dr. Denman?" Emma nods telling me I'm right. Rikki says "The beautiful one." Cleo says "Beautiful?! Her eyes are way too close together!" we nod knowing that's her jealousy talking. Emma asks "So what's Dr. Denman doing back here?" Cleo says "I don't know. but her boat was anchored off Mako Island this afternoon." my phone starts to go off and I see it's my dad. I say "Um, I'll be right back." I walk out of the room and answer it "What do you want, Dad?" he says "thank god. you finally answered." I say "Getting bored. Now hurry it up. what do you want?" he says "Just a few minutes to talk." I say "Fine, you have 5 minutes. go." he starts "I want to fight for you. I want you to live with me and only see your mother over like the summer. you are my daughter and I love you. I will always love you. I'm sorry I didn't fight for you in the beginning. I just, I needed time. you are my princess. my madi-kat." I say "No. you don't get to abandon us then decide to show up and take your pick of the litter. " he says "Madi, that's not what I-" I cut him off saying "Oh, look at that, times up. bye, Dad." I hang up and go inside. I say "Let's not worry about it till we have to. anyway, I got to go. talk to you guys later." and I head out to talk to my mom.

~

I go and join Zane on the beach. I sit down beside him and say "Hey, Beach boy." he laughs and puts his arm around me and says "Hey, Beach girl." I shake my head and lean into him as we watch the waves. I think back to that call with my dad. I sigh sadly and Zane notices. he says "Hey, what's wrong?" I say "Nothing. nothing. it's- I'm fine." he turns my head to look him in the eyes and he says "Hey, listen to me. I'm here for you. so tell me what's up." I smile and say "Thank you." I pause and take a deep breath before saying "My dad called." he looks at me in concern. I say "he decided he wants to fight for full custody of just me. not my brothers." Zane holds me close. he says "What are you gonna do?" I smile and look up and say "Talk to my mom and the lawyers. I don't want to see him or stay with him ever again." Zane smiles and says "And that's okay." I look up and say "You always know what to say to me." he shrugs and says "And I will be with you every step of the way." I smile and lean up and kiss him passionately. every time I kiss him it's like the first, the one that sent sparks all through my body. and I enjoy every single minute of it. he stands up and helps me up. We start to walk along the beach just talking about almost everything. I smirk and say "Bet you can't catch me." he looks confused and I take the baseball cap he was wearing and start to run. I see him shake his head and say "You better be fast there, Madi!" then he starts to chase me. I squeal and run faster. I turn a corner and hide behind a rock. I don't hear him so I look above the rock but don't see him. I look around confused. until I feel someone grab my waist and pick me up. I scream and recognize it's Zane and I yell "Agh! Zaaaannnnne! Put me down!" he says "Say I'm faster." I say "Fine. You're faster than me." he puts me down and I put his hat back on him and he pulls me in close kissing me again and I just melt in his hold. I get a call from the girls and groan saying "It's Rikki. I better answer." he says "No, ignore and spend the day with me." I say "As much as I would love to ignore the drama with the girls, I do need to answer this." he sighs and I answer and say "This better be important." Rikki says "Lewis, talked to Dr. Denman. Meet us at the cafe, please." I sigh and say "Fine. be there in 20 minutes." I hang up and say "I have to go. but how about this weekend I spend the whole weekend with you. no girls, no drama, no Lewis. just you." he smiles and says "I can agree to that." he kisses me and says "talk later." I nod and take off.

~

Lewis tells us he talked to her and looked at some files. He says "It sounds like a standard environmental survey." Cleo asks "And if it isn't?" Lewis says "She has no reason to lie. and I've seen her charts, and it just looks like basic statistics. you guys are safe. I'm sure." Cleo asks "As sure as you were when she almost stole our DNA, or surer than that?" Rikki says "What Cleo's trying to say is that it's not exactly a warm, fuzzy feeling having a marine biologist poking around Mako island." Zane, who I didn't even notice walk in comes over and says "What's this about mako island?" Lewis says "Um, nothing." Zane says "I heard you talking about mako island. something about a marine biologist?" I say "Zane, it's nothing. there's just some stupid hotshot Marine biologist poking around out by Mako. it's nothing special. hey, I can't wait for this weekend, Do you have any ideas on what you wanna do? I'm excited. I'm gonna get a drink, anyone want one? no? Okay." and I walk over to the counter to get a drink.

~

I get home that night and as I'm getting ready for bed my phone goes off. I answer it without checking it. I ask "Hello?" my dad says "Hi, Madi-Kat." I scoff and say "Don't call me that. Now, what do you want?" he sighs and says "Madison, don't be like that." I say "What do you want?" he says "I talked to my lawyer and he says "I have a good chance of getting custody of you." I scoff and say "I don't want you to have custody of me." he says "Yes, you do, Madison." I say "No, maybe I did before but that was before you chose yourself over your kids. and now you are trying to take your pick of the liter. well, sorry to tell you Daddy, but that's not how being a parent works!" he says "Madison..." I yell "You don't get to abandon your kids, then show up one day to get your pick of the litter!" he says "Madi, your mother." I cut him off yelling "This isn't about her! This is about Roman, Dallas, and I. and we grew up great without you. let me tell you a few things you don't know. Roman is gonna be valedictorian this year, he's also the captain of the soccer team! Dallas is the most popular kid in his grade and is also getting tested for genius-level IQ. and, I have amazing friends, I have an amazing boyfriend who supports me through everything, and I'm taking all AP classes this year because the regular leveled classes were too easy for me, but you didn't know any of that, did you?" he says "Madison, I, I didn't..." I say "we did it all, no thanks to you because You. Weren't. Here!" he says "I get that, Madison, but I want to be here for you now." I yell "It's not just about me, Dad!" I start to cry as I get more angry and more upset with him. he says "Madison, I love you." I yell "No, you don't, Dad! you left me! you left me alone! you sent me away! how could you do that to me!" he says "Madi, that was never my intention." I hang up and fall to the ground screaming and crying. I feel two sets of arms wrap around me and I start to cry hard into my brothers' arms. we spent the entire night just with each other and when mom got home she joined us in my room. 

To Be Continued...