Chapter 22

The next few months disappeared in a blur of laughter, and the most amazing sex she’d ever had. She tried so many new things with him, he took her to salsa lessons where they ended up standing on one anothers feet and laughing so hard that they cried.  They went scuba diving but she got afraid of a shark, which she later realised was not a shark at all, but something people had in fish tanks. It seemed much larger in the water, and they spent the rest of the day chasing each other down the beach humming the ‘Jaws’ theme tune.  They went to ‘All you can eat’s and did just that, and went to baseball games to make out. She accompanied him to work a few days a week, helping develop the story lines for their new games, and she became a part of the furniture there, and made a new friend in Jessie.

They went ring shopping, as she started to discover just how wealthy he was. Choosing a beautiful heart shaped pink diamond, she almost fainted at the price tag, but once he saw it on her finger she knew he wouldn’t let her put it back if she pleaded with him. He refused a pre-nup, and begged her to spend whatever she wanted to, after all he loved to see her in beautiful gowns and they didn’t come cheap. She spoke to Annie every day, and Ellie most days, as her pregnancy progressed. She loved getting the E-mails, showing her bump photos. She found herself feeling pangs of envy as the months went on, she loved that Ellie was so happy, but she found herself standing in front of the mirror one evening inspecting her belly and  wondering what it might be like.

‘I want to marry you first’. Luke stepped into the room, and she hastily rolled down her strappy Tinkerbell Pyjama top. He smiled, coming up behind her, and holding her close to him at the waist. ‘I can’t wait to see a little miniature Emily running around, calling me Daddy and waiting for me at the door every night.’ His eyes were lit up, and animated with the thought. She held his arms around her tightly. She was starting to see all the little things that made him tick. His parents meant a lot to him, and in spite of his ailing relationship with his brother, she knew he’d always been the brother that dreamt of a close family. Laura told her that Mikey often poked fun at his brother growing up, but that business-wise he had far surpassed Mikey’s achievements. She admitted that her husband had always enjoyed the football trophies Mikey had brought home, and Luke had been obscured.

It was November when her paperwork was approved, based on her earnings as an Author and the reputation of the Delaware family.  The weather was mild and balmy, completely insane to her at this time of year. In London it had been snowing on and off, not heavy flurries but enough of a contrast to Florida. At just over 21 degrees, she strolled through the house, her towel under her right arm, ready for a mid morning dip. As she opened the door, she felt Luke’s hands on her hips. She turned to him, a coy look on her face. He gave her a sobering look, and held the landline phone in one hand. She frowned at him, wondering what had happened and hoping that it didn’t have anything to do with the wedding, which was less than a fortnight away.

‘Why didn’t you tell me about the tv show?’

It took her a moment to work out what he meant, her eyes went to the phone then back to his eyes.