Chapter Nine

That afternoon, they had taken a taxi to the mall. Annie had conveniently decided she wanted a gown to wear for the evening of the wedding, for when her bridesmaid gown got uncomfortable. Ellie joined them, and they milled around the stores, helping Ellie pick out some underwear for her wedding night, and choosing a sequinned mini dress fitting for a gorgeous thing like Annie. Finally, whilst they sipped coffees in Starbucks, she ventured off on her own, in search of a blue dress. There was a formal dress shop on the second floor, and the dresses were eye wateringly expensive, but she knew this would be an investment.

At these prices I’d better wear it for my own wedding!

She spotted the ideal dress. It was hanging in front of her, like an apparition, as if meant to be. The satin fabric fell in waves, beautiful beading to the chest giving it an ethnic feel. It was summery, yet dressy, and certainly something she would wear for a birthday. As the sales assistant wrapped it up, she winced at the price, it cost more than half her rent for a month. She hoped he would be mildy impressed, it might even get her another of those devastating kisses.

After a long afternoon of shopping, she caught a brief cat nap, before heading down to Luke’s room. He answered on the second rap at the door, and she was armed with a card, present and bunch of roses, she stepped into the room.

‘Wow’ he exhaled, as he caught sight of her. No expense spared, she looked ready to hit the red carpet at the Oscars. He wore his navy summer suit, and she was shocked to see he’d cut his hair. Still ruffled and not short in the slightest, but definitely neater, less bedraggled. She spun around, relishing his reaction, a playful grin on her face.

‘Open your card and gift’ she demanded, shoving them into his arms. He flopped down onto his bed, and slid open the card first.

‘To Luke. The most irritating man I have ever met. Happy ‘Birthday’, kisses, Emily.’

He shook his head in amusement, before shaking the gift. Last night, Annie had been on form, snapping photos of all Ellie’s friends at the club. She hadn’t been aware of her taking the shots of herself and Luke, mainly because her mind was so frazzled, but as she had waited for the photos to be developed at the mall, she’d asked the one of herself and Luke to be turned into a mini canvas.

She stood beside him as he tore it open, and heard herself gasp as he revealed the photograph. They were holding hands, and any outsider would see this as a lovely memory, captured forever on film.  They were looking at each other, no animosity in their eyes, if anything it looked like admiration. Maybe even love. But it wasn’t real. Just a perfectly captured moment. Just smoke and mirrors, nothing real about it.