Chapter Twelve

That evening, after a light meal with the girls, she felt as down in the dumps as one could in such a beautiful place. To make matters worse, the rich diet she had consumed since touching down in Miami had made her feel bloated and whale-like. The girls reassured her, but she knew they were just being kind and really, her belly looked six months pregnant.  Annie and Ellie joined Laura at the house for a benefit she was holding for an animal shelter charity, with Emily deciding she’d better put in a few gym hours before this wedding. Dressing in a pair of black shorts and a white fitted tee, she headed down to the gym on the second floor. At eight pm, she imagined most people would be out on the decking watching the sun set, or dining in one of the four plush restaurants that the ‘Star’ boasted.

Taking the stairs was the first step, and she imagined that with every downward step she was toning her much coveted backside. Many a man had complimented her on her arse, which was often likened to Jennifer Lopez’s rear. As she caught sight of it in a fire door however, she thought it was decidedly more shapeless, and was making those shorts look like they were containing two very unruly giant melons. She sighed, pushing the doors open to the gym, and heading towards the juice bar. A smoothie was in order, all that exercise, all the preparation involved with arriving at the gym had made her thirsty. As she ordered an apple and mint smoothie from the too toned, far too pretty server, she heard two very familiar voices.

As she turned the corner, towards the strip of treadmills facing a huge seventy inch tv screen, she froze. Luke occupied one treadmill, and the other was presently occupied by Mikey. She swiftly stood behind the pillar, wondering if any inch of her arsecheeks could be seen either side of the tall marble column. Taking a sip of her smoothie, she was too scared to breathe now, for fear of them discovering her. As her eyes scouted the rest of the room, there appeared to be no more gym bunnies here at this hour. She had expected the place to be completely empty, and right now she did not relish working out alongside the Delaware Brothers.

‘You had your shot in London.’ Remarked Mikey, suddenly piercing the silence, above the whir of the treadmills. ‘Emily turned you down. It was pathetic.’

She frowned, wondering what on Earth he could mean. She hadn’t met Luke before now.

‘At least she doesn’t hate me.’

‘Dude. After this trip she wont even remember you, just like she didn’t recognise you when you picked her up. The only reason she’s even interested in you is because I am unavailable.’

Heart hammering, she knew she was a sitting duck. There was no way she could move right now if she tried. This conversation was too juicy, she needed to hear the end of it.

‘I’ll say it again asshole, at least she wont hate me! Right now I doubt Emily would even give you a second look.’