Chapter Eight

Did he mean that? Or was he being spiteful. And why did that bother her? Why was his admission so hard to digest?

The girls called her over and she went to view the hot pink dresses that Ellie had selected. She loved the colour and the cut, but her eyes kept trailing back to Luke. The feeling she had was not alien. She had a crush on him. A little one maybe. He could pretend that it meant nothing, but his body language gave it all away. He was pissed about something, and you didn’t get pissed like that unless you cared. Unless the person meant something to you, however small.

She would put this to the test. She was going to seduce Luke. Just to prove to him that the kiss meant something. She would challenge him and come off the winner. There was no way he would resist her feminine charms. He’d probably never dated anyone outside of his league before, and she would kiss him again and again until he relented and admitted that their kiss blew his mind.

She remembered the kiss, her fingers running over her lips as she shut her eyes and recalled how she had felt, at that exact moment. Ellie brought her out of her thoughts, and she realised everyone else was laughing at her expense.

‘Why don’t we get you girls to try on the dresses’ the matronly shop assistant suggested. ‘then we can see what alterations are needed.’

They went through to the back, and slipped into the light silk gowns. The material glided over her curves, and she felt a million dollars. As she stood in the store, two women pinning her dress, it was like a war of glares between her and Luke. It was as if the air was simmering between them and right now, her type or not, she wanted to jump on top of him and have her wicked ways right there on that flimsy futon.

‘What’s going on between you and Luke’ Ellie whispered, as she sipped champagne. ‘Something is up.’

She shrugged. ‘I don’t know, I honestly don’t. He kissed me in the club and it was so hot! Then moments later he disappears, I just don’t get it!’

Ellie pulled her aside, much to the disgruntlement of the assistant who almost lost her footing.

‘He followed you outside, after Saul. I only came to find you to see if you were okay and he saw you kiss him. ‘

‘Oh God, Ell, I didn’t come onto him, he…’