Chapter Ten

She found herself perched on the bed, waiting for him to arrive. When did she become so smitten with anyone that waiting, hands locked in anticipation, was the done thing? She tried to entertain herself, watching Annie try on the seventh outfit. Ellie had told them that Mikey's old frat brothers were headed straight from the city of sin, to the hotel and would be celebrating the impending nuptuals with them today, and later in the evening. In spite of her apparent infatuation with Charlie, she was keeping her options open, and a little flirting wouldn't go amiss. Emily knew exactly what she would wear. He liked blue, and she had a tight blue dress that made her boobs look like they belonged in the playboy mansion. Okay it wasn't work attire, but she was enjoying the effect she had on him, and his eyes would pop out of his head cartoon style.

Annie received a text from Emily and kissed her goodbye for the day.

'If you guys can make it, I know it'd mean so much to Ellie.'

She scurried off, wearing an impossibly short pink sun dress and the highest wedge heels Emily had ever seen. Even her eyes watered as she imagined trying to walk in them. A rap at the door signalled Luke's arrival.

'Come in!' she beckoned. As the door opened, she closed the distance between the bed and the door, hoping for a kiss, and instead, Saul stood there, hands in his pockets.

'Oh' she said, slightly deflated.

'Not the guy you were expecting' he smiled, a little sadness creeping in.

'No. I'm waiting for Luke. What are you doing here?'

'I just wanted to say sorry. What I did was out of line. It wasn't me. I'm just a little confused.'

She headed to the mirror to check her hair, teasing a strand of hair into place.

'You don't need to apologise, I just don't get it. You're back with Sophia, then you're trying to kiss me.'

He nodded, lowering his head in embarrassment. 'I guess I saw Luke kiss you and I remembered what it was like. As in totally incredible.'

Not for me it wasn't.

'Saul, Sophia is a lovely girl.' Well, maybe that's a little embellishment on the truth. 'You chose to see her again, and that's cool with me. She's Ellie's cousin, and you're here for her. You travelled ten hours on a plane to come with her to a wedding. Full of people you don't know....'