ADULT TIME

August. 20. 2023.

"Come on guys, just pick a place," you groaned, walking behind Kayano and Nagisa as they looked over a map on Nagisa's phone. Karma's reservations for after the long meeting at the lawyer's office had fallen through because it had taken a lot longer to end the meeting, causing you all to miss the reservation.

The two didn't listen, still pondering over where to eat. Karma walked by your side, shoving his hands down his pockets. "So what'd they ask you?"

You looked down at his pockets and then back up at him, grinning. "Old habits die hard, huh?"

"Hey, we're still young, not much has changed that drastically," Karma pointed out, leaning down to narrow his eyes at you. "What're you, avoiding my question?"

Chuckling, you shook your head. "The basic stuff. My opinions and relationship with all of you."

"What'd you say?" Karma asked, eyeing Nagisa and Kayano, who were shoulder by shoulder, arguing very close to each other. You kept a respectful distance from him, still. He frowned; you both used to be like the two lovesick fools. Now he wondered if you'd ever go back to that time.

"Well, I gave them the standard stuff; I've known you since first year, and then we became better friends in third year due to the circumstances..."

As you trailed off, Karma raised an eyebrow at you. "And did you mention anything beyond junior high?"

You smiled up at him. "I said there's no one else I'd rather marry."

Karma bit the inside of his cheek, trying to stop the huge smile and intense blush that was trying to make its way to his ears. You looked away once you noticed he did the cheek bite; you were used to his small strategies to avoid embarrassing himself. You'd found it cute back then- in truth, you also found it cute right now.

"I mean I didn't say that," Karma quipped, once he'd found it in himself to talk without stuttering. You were about to punch him until he shrugged, looking up at the sky. "But I think that too. No one else is an option for me, honestly."

"Really?" You asked, shocked by that confession.

"Yeah," Karma nodded. "We've already dated before, we went through E Class together, and you know, my memories with you are my most clear ones. I think you know me well; and..." He hesitated. "I loved you at one point."

Your eyes widened, as you stopped mid stride.

Karma walked back to you, placing his hand on your back and pushing you ahead. "Hey, don't tell me you didn't feel the same." He said it in a joking tone, but you knew underlyingly, he meant it.

"No, I did," you recovered. "I was just a bit taken aback." You looked down at your feet, lowering your voice. "You've never said it, you know?"

"I know," Karma sighed, reaching down to grab your hand. "I'm sorry."

Before you could say anything else, you heard Kayano squeal, much farther in front of you than she had been before. Walking faster, you and Karma quickly went over to see what she and Nagisa were so excited about.

"You two are here too?"

It was Karasuma. Gasping you ran over to him, next to Kayano as you squealed with her. "Mister Karasuma?! What- what're you doing here? How have you been? It's been seven years sir, how could you not talk to us for so long!"

"It's nice to see you too," Karasuma sighed, rubbing his temples at the bombardment of questions. He looked all four of you over. You'd all grown, changed, but not enough to be unrecognizable. Kayano was the only one who looked very different, but he'd seen her in movies that Irina made him watch together.