Chapter Nineteen

An honest man is a dead one.

-The Book of Night

Nightshade has disappeared. I haven't seen him in the last few days after we talked. I don't know what he has discovered, but it's killing me each day that passes to know that he knows something I don't. I was hoping we were past this stage. When he agreed to train me, I thought... this is it. I finally made it. We were finally going to get along. It looked like things were in my favor for the time being until I had to open my big mouth.

Tomorrow is my elemental trial. Tomorrow will determine whether I stay or leave this place. At least, until another one happens—that's if I do pass the course. I had seen the headmaster briefly yesterday morning who informed me that Jax was going to wait until after my trial until he started to work with me.

At first, I didn't quite understand it, but I do now. Why waste his time on someone that may not even make it through her first trial?

It makes me even more nervous, though. Knowing he's going to be watching my every move tomorrow to determine if I'm worthy enough for his time is only going to make things worse for me.

Today is my last day of the weekend to relax before all hell breaks loose tomorrow. I had hung out with Cassie and them last night, but we were all tense with what was looming over our heads come the first of the week. Who knows who's staying and who's coming. Not to mention, there are no rules.

Someone might end up dead.

I shake the thought from my head as I turn over from my spot on the downstairs couch. Midnight is curled up within my grasp as if he knows I need the comforting, his soft purrs the only thing relaxing me at the moment.

I stare into the fireplace that seems to always have a raging fire going, watching specs of ember spark and flutter up the chimney.

Then there's a swooshing sound. Midnight perks up, looking behind me, and I don't have to look to know that Nightshade has finally returned.

"We need to talk."

I don't move as I lay staring into the fire, my head propped against the arm of the couch, and I stroke midnight's fur. "I tried and you fled. Per usual."

I hear him sigh. "I had my reasons, and I'm glad I did. I've been... looking into a lot of things the past few days. The day we talked, I got some of the information I needed to confirm my suspicions about a few things. I can't tell you all of it. Some of it is... personal. Things I can't have you knowing for both of our safety."

This causes me to sit up and finally look at him. He's in his classic all black suit, but his hair is ruffled and the buttons at the top of his underneath shirt are undone. He looks tired. Drained, even.

Cautiously, I let Midnight down and he runs off, as if he doesn't want to be here for whatever Nightshade is about to admit, and I gently pat the spot next to me. "Then tell me what you can."

Nightshade swallows harshly and he slowly shrugs out of his suit jacket and lays it over the arm of the couch before sitting. Clasping his hands together, he leans forward in thought. "You were right about that night in the forest..."

My breath hitches as I realize what it means. "Were you... watching us?"

His eyes quickly meet mine. "No. I would never invade your privacy. Not unless it's dire and necessary."

I nod, relief flooding over me. "Then how did I feel your shadows?"

Nightshade looks toward the fireplace. "I believe we're connected."