Chapter Six

One man can destroy an army if he is determined enough.

-The Book of Shadows

I'm running into the classroom with just minutes to spare. Natalia waits for me in the back at the same table we used last class. When she sees me, her eyes light up. I hurry to her and drop into my seat with a huff. There's a thin line of sweat coating my forehead, and I want to curse Nightshade for having a house so far out. Now I have to get up even earlier if I want to make it on time to class.

"So? How did last night go?" she asks.

I can't help but to roll my eyes. "I hate him, to say the least. The house is surprisingly nice, but I didn't even get to actually go inside until a few hours ago because the asshole locked me out."

"What the hell? He locked you out? You need to report it."

"And do what? Let him win? Hell no. It's like he's trying to make me hate him and the house altogether, but I refuse to let that man ruin what I have wanted all my life. I just have to find ways to get back at him."

She winces. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Not at all, but I can't just let him think he can get away with his asshole demeanor. I'm a part of his house now whether he likes it or not."

She reaches over and gives my hand a small squeeze. "Well, I'm glad you had a change of heart. I couldn't do this place without you. However, I don't want to see him hurt you, okay? So please be careful."

"He can't hurt me, remember? Not that I'm now in his house and the bond has kicked in."

Natalia arches a brow. "And you know this how?"

"Because he told me so. It's the only reason he willingly let me go to Shadowson and get my room."

"Speaking of your room... how is it?"

My forehead drops against the desk. "It's actually really freaking nice. New bed. New furniture. New bathroom—attached." I lift my head. "Best part? It even has a window seat. I can totally sit there all night if I'd like to. I wanted at least one thing to complain about. But... It's actually a nice place."

Natalia doesn't get a chance to reply before Professor Langston walks in. He surveys the class before dropping some textbooks onto his desk. "Who can tell me about the elemental trials?"

At the question, I perk up. A girl in the front row raises her hand and he juts his chin toward her. "The elemental trials are when all cadets will go against one another to see who is the strongest for war—physically and mentally."

Langston nods. "And?"

"And... There are not many rules. You work with your house to take down other members to best suit your goal of beating the course that is created for certain trials. It doesn't matter how you get to the end of it, you just have to get there."

He leans against the front of his desk with folded arms. "Correct. It is also what I am here to prepare you for. There will be cadets of all years participating in these trials. You do them every year until you leave here. They keep your body and mind strong, but that doesn't mean they can't wear you down. Which is why our lesson today is going to be on how to learn to prioritize your magic—you use it all in one go and you're screwed. In short, don't let yourself get burnt out."

The reminder of such trials is a knife to my gut. All years compete, which means all years in a full house will be gunning it for me. After all, I'm the weak link here. No strong house. No team. No one to back me.