Chapter Eleven

Always stay on guard.

-The Book of Night

The weekend came sooner than expected. I had stayed up most of Thursday night to get all my work done for Langston's class and reread my notes in Leyons'. It left me with the weekend completely free and I am more than excited to get out and to hang with my friends.

I step outside as I bring my jacket tighter around me. It continues to get colder and colder with each day that passes, so it won't surprise me if it snows here soon. I thoroughly enjoy the snow, actually. And I would be a liar if I said that I haven't heard about the annual snow ball fight the academy holds on the first snow day of the year. It sounds like a lot of fun.

As I head to the dining hall where I'm meeting the others, I let my mind drift off to Nightshade. I can't help it. For some reason, the man occupies my mind more than I'd like for him to. But perhaps that's just because after our conversation in his study, I haven't seen him since.

Langston most definitely didn't buy the story of Nightshade teaching me, but he accepted my paper nonetheless. I'm sure he didn't feel like dealing with House Shadowson's drama—I wouldn't want to, that's for sure.

I walk into the warmth of the dining hall with a huge smile when I see Natalia. She's standing by a table looking rather excited. Others are in the hall as well, dressed in similar club-like clothes that don't leave much to the imagination. I, on the other hand, chickened out last minute and went with some jeans and a cute top—it's too cold for me to put my goods on display tonight.

Once a month Cadets are able to leave academy grounds with their protectors as a "bonding" exercise. It's complete bullshit. It's just a day for us to hit one of the bigger towns on our side of the world, Emberson, and visit all the clubs to get absolutely plastered, or so Kendra and Kiera say.

Nightshade was never around this week for me to ask permission when I first heard of this monthly tradition. So, Natalia asked Zander if I could tag along and he was happy to let me. Lowkey, I think he's trying to do everything to spite Nightshade as well. So, tonight I get to run with House Decadess, and I'm way too excited for my own good.

Natalia is practically jumping up and down when I approach her and the others. "Are you excited? Because I am ready to get plastered."

"There's no drinking happening on this day trip," Zander says next to us, appearing out of nowhere with a teasing grin. "We are simply here to bond with one another."

Natalia's cheeks grow red. "Totally."

Zander continues to grin at her and gives us a pointed look, that practically tells us to shut up, and walks off to greet the others.

I smile at her. "We are so getting plastered."

She laughs, throwing her arm around my shoulder as everyone starts filing out of the hall and to where a few buses are lined up outside. "I wish all houses got to go out at the same time."

I groan. "I know! I'd love to see Cassie and them in a club atmosphere."

Natalia shakes her head in amusement. "Cassie would be the life of the party."

"Oh, one hundred percent."

We pile onto the bus with others and take a seat near the back. I'm excited to see the real world for a bit after being at Blackwood for the past two weeks. I love the academy grounds, but I definitely think a breath of fresh air is in order.

Natalia and I continue to catch up over what happened in our classes this week as the bus takes off. Emberson is about an hour from Blackwood, but when we pass the sign that welcomes us into the buzzing town, I think everyone's faces are plastered to the windows as the scenery goes by.