Chapter 6

Crystal Pov

Crystal: "She lives." I answered the phone, barely awake.

Layla: "Trying." Layla said, sounding almost as tired as I did. "The jetlag is killing me. I look like a toad. I feel like I look like fresh roadkill." She said, letting out an exhausted sigh.

Naoto: "You don't. You always look beautiful." I could hear Naoto faintly in the background, followed by kissing sounds.

Layla: "Ah! Stop. I'm on the phone." Layla said as if she was trying to cover the phone.

Crystal: "Listen to your man." I said jokingly. "Plus, I doubt you do too. You have my face, after all. I said, finally sitting up. "We can only keep the title 'identical twins' if you treat our community property right. I can't have an 80-year-old-looking twin when I look as good as I do." I said jokingly.

Layla: "I'm trying to, but the flight has dried out my face so badly. I don't even remember packing my moisturiser." She said, sounding like she was ruffling through a bag.

Crystal: "You have it." I said so quickly I caught Layla off guard.

Layla: "How are you so sure?" Layla questioned my certainty.

Crystal: "I, uh-." I said, remembering handing Takanori the bottle while half-naked. "I don't see it in the bathroom," I said, entering the bathroom to wash up. Thankful I was quick on my feet.

Layla: "Oh, ok. Do you miss me yet?" She asked.

Crystal: "Yeah, it's too quiet and clean for me." I said, jabbing at her.

Layla: "I'll get better, I swear." She said guiltily.

Crystal: "If you do, how will I know you are home?" I said, washing my face with her on the loudspeaker.

This remark earned a muted laugh from Naoto, followed by what I assumed was Layla swatting at him.

Layla: "Ha ha, very funny." Layla said plainly. "Takanori did most of the cleanup before he left yesterday, so thank him for me when you see him today." She said.

Crystal: "You aren't here. Why would he come by?" I said, continuing my morning routine.

Layla: "Oh. I thought his morning visits were a standard order now." She said, pausing. "He hasn't been coming to see me." She said with complete certainty.

Crystal: "Hasn't he?" I said, turning on the water to shower.                                            

Layla: "I already have my very own stalker." She said with a hint of a giggle.

Naoto: "Is that what the cool kids call 'the man of your dreams'." Naoto teased in the background.

Layla: "I don't know, is it?" Layla said, teasing back. "Either way. I know you may not like this, but Takanori has no interest in seeing me every day. I may resemble the love of his life, but I'm not her. You are." She paused. "Hopefully, without me there, you can start realising it." She said, not beating around the bush.

A pause fell upon the conversation as I took in what she said. I played with the streams of water, thinking about the past few days.

Layla: "I love you, Crystal. One day, I hope you can let others love you too." She said sincerely.

Crystal: "Eventually." I said, not too sure of my words. "Some of us aren't as susceptible to it," I said, staring aimlessly at the water hitting the shower floor. "Anyways, I hope you have a great time with Naoto. I'll see you in a week." I said, missing her. "Tell Naoto to behave himself," I added at the end.

Layla: "Ok, I will. Talk to you soon." With a kissy sound, she hung up.

After a brief shower, I dressed and reminisced about last night while I gathered together all my work. My packing was interrupted by a sobering thought. 'He wouldn't be outside, right?' I thought, questioning if Takanori was outside. 'No, no, he wouldn't. We were up pretty late last night.' I thought, resuming getting ready. ' Or would he?' I thought, looking at my front door.

I opened the door to see Takanori outside, patiently waiting for me.

Takanori: "There you are. I was just about to call in S.W.A.T. I was starting to get worried you got injured on your run." He said, standing to speak to me.

Crystal: "No, I didn't go on my run. We were up pretty late last night, so I didn't go. Since we slept after 2 am, I didn't think you'd be out here." I said, walking closer to him.

Takanori: "Oh, that was light. I have gotten way less sleep than that. Trust me." He paused briefly. "Regardless of how late I slept, I needed to bring you this." He said, lifting a disposable coffee cup with my name on it.

Crystal: "You didn't have to bring me a coffee. I have a coffee maker." I said, hoping it would dissuade him.

Takanori: "Which you haven't ever used." He pointed out.

Crystal: "And how would you know that?" I asked.

Takanori: "Crystal, the sticker is still on it." He said forwardly.

Crystal: "Oh." I said, caught red-handed. "Then I guess I should be thanking you," I said, lifting the cup. "Also, thanks for the reminder. I shall start using the coffee maker, so you don't ha-." I said before being cut off.

Takanori: "Don't." He said, stopping me.

Crystal: "Don't?" I questioned.

Takanori: "Don't tell me to stop. I understand you want to keep me at arm's length, but please let me at least see you." He said, taking my hand in his. "I don't have the excuse of Layla right now, so let me just be straight to the point. Even though your heart ignores the fact that mine beats for you now. My heart knows who it wants to belong to." He said, looking at the hand he held. "I enjoy bringing you coffee in the morning. I like knowing that although you aren't ready to tell me what happened to us three years ago, I'll be here with a cup of coffee whenever you are." He said, pausing to look at me. "So, will you let me be here for you, Gem?" He said, gently resting his head on mine.

Disarming me in seconds, I merely nodded my head, praying my heart would stop accosting me for keeping it guarded from him for so long.

Takanori: "Great." He smiled.

Crystal: "Coming inside?" I asked, turning to head to the door.

Takanori: "I'd love that, but." He paused, looking at his watch. "I'm 40 minutes late for a shoot." He said.

Crystal: "What?" I said, shocked.

Takanori: "Yup. You came out later than when you usually come in from your run." He said, not making a deal about it.

Crystal: "So, you made yourself late?" I said, realising it was a big deal.

Takanori: "Yup." He said, not bothered in the slightest. "You fail to see who takes priority here." He said, stepping closer to me. "Enjoy your coffee, love." He said, kissing my forehead before walking to his car. "I have early morning shoots for the next two days, so I won't be able to see you in person for a couple of days, but if it's ok with you, I could bring takeout, and we could have dinner." He said, opening his door before getting in.

Crystal: "I only agreed to coffee in the mornings." I  said, restating what I was ok with.

Takanori: "Yeah, but have you had takeout at night with me? It's a million times better." He joked. "I'll text you the details later." He said before driving off.

Throughout the day, Takanori and I texted. He had struck up a debate for us to discuss. Like Shakespeare said, to dinner or not to, that is the question. Takanori made some solid points on why I should let him treat me to dinner for missing out on our morning rendezvous, but in the end, things changed. Initially, I figured I'd offer to cook him food since he has been bringing breakfast for the last few days. But, somehow, we agreed to cook dinner together at my place. We went back and forth until everything was in stone. On Thursday at 7 pm, Takanori and I would be having dinner. Together.

Maybe takeout would have been a better idea. I worried for the next two days.